That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the conditions listed are so common and so unrelated to diving that there is little reason for them to be there. A quarter of all adults have hypertension, for example, and I've seen no evidence to suggest that is a risk factor for diving. There are other examples.
It's a risk factor for heart disease
upload_2017-2-23_16-20-2.png

I think I will continue to have no medical conditions that might keep me from diving.

"So, if someone checks "yes" on the form and the dive op lets them go diving anyway and something bad happens, wouldn't the dive op have some kind of liability?"

Yes. But if the customer checked 'no,' seems the dive op. didn't know of the condition, and that might reduce their liability risk.

So, if someone checks "yes" on the form and the dive op lets them go diving anyway and something bad happens, wouldn't the dive op have some kind of liability?

I expect it would. Any dive op that opts to have its customers complete such a form would probably increase its liability were it to simply ignore the responses.

"So, if someone checks "yes" on the form and the dive op lets them go diving anyway and something bad happens, wouldn't the dive op have some kind of liability?"

Yes. But if the customer checked 'no,' seems the dive op. didn't know of the condition, and that might reduce their liability risk.

I
I expect it would. Any dive op that opts to have its customers complete such a form would probably increase its liability were it to simply ignore the responses.

That brings us back to "yes" is the wrong answer.

Last edited:
I am (way) over 55. My father who did not exercise, smoked, and ate an extremely high fat diet had his first open heart surgery in his 50s, (eggs in bacon grease, hamburger for lunch, steak and fries for supper). Many years ago I found out that I do not make much of the good cholesterol. He probably was the same. I eat a very low fat diet, exercise, do not smoke, and my bad cholesterol is also low. Each year I get a physical and ask the doctor if I am good to dive for another year. As long as he says yes, I am good to go. End of story as far as I am concerned.

It's a risk factor for heart disease
View attachment 398178

So does the dive op's form include all those risk factors? Why pick on those with high blood pressure and make them go get a doctor's note but give obese divers, smokers, etc., a pass?

The form may discriminate against those deemed (rightly or wrongly) unfit to dive by empowering the dive op. with knowledge of the issue so as to deny service, or shift liability to the clearing diver's physician, or shield the dive op. from liability since officially they screened and the customer denied the condition or at least contraindications to diving.

Of course, it could also alert the customer to a potential issue leading to professional assessment and customer education for a better informed personal decision...but that's not the issue driving these debates.

My post was regarding "It's not clear to me how the condition form is beneficial to the dive op."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom