That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INFLATE YOUR BC!! DROP YOUR WEIGHTS!!
Did you hear that?
The hearing part is a safety issue.....e.g., surfacing into a boat passing overhead?

Terrible example. I have rather severe hearing loss. Bad enough that it could have kept me out of the Army, and out of RVN, and get me discharge early; but I did not let it.

I do not acknowledge it on a diving medical questionaire. It does not limit me UW. It does make briefings difficult but I do let the DM know as I find a place close to him/her.

A bigger question that has not been brought up is this: Why would any thinking person divulge personal, private, and sensitive medical history information to a dive op, or anybody else, that is not required to follow HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability And Accountability) laws concerning protection of your medical information? I think many divers just assume that because a dive op asks for your medical history, you are obliged to give it to them, never mind the fact that U.S. HIPAA laws do not pertain to overseas entities, and most likely any dive operation since you never get a HIPAA document from them. And you can bet your ass that dive ops do nothing to protect any medical history that you might be foolish enough to give them. If you willingly divulge your medical history and information to a vendor that is not regulated by HIPAA laws, it seems to me that you are doing something counter to your own best interests, privacy, and security.

HIPAA laws in Mexico, Asia, South America., Really....lol....I guess you can tell the operator to pound dirt....I guess they can show you the beach access to snorkel from! :)

HIPAA laws in Mexico, Asia, South America., Really....lol....I guess you can tell the operator to pound dirt....I guess they can show you the beach access to snorkel from! :)

NO, NO, NO - 34 times NO. An "N" is not acceptable.

Well, at least I know you got my point, but you don't have to tell them to pound dirt either. Just do as Awap suggests: No to all the questions.

I cannot remember ever having to provide the medical release to do a dive with a dive operator. I always bring mine signed by my doctor so that I have it needed. If I was taking a class I have always had to sign the release.

I think one of the biggest issues I nave heard of is the person that has a existing known coronary or other serious health condition and says no on all the questions on the medical release form or does not provide the information dive operator or people they are diving with. This is knowingly putting themselves at high risk and the dive operator and the people they are diving with at risk because they may have to deal with your medical emergency and the aftermath of your serious injury or very probable death.
I have been present at the death of a diver due to a coronary incident and it was very difficult for everyone involved.

Question for ya....a diver checks off high blood pressure and or taking statins for cholesterol. What would be your position on either of these? I have neither fortunately, but I'll share a story with you about a dive buddy once I get your take on my question...

.....nothing to report with respect to yourself, of course, just asking on behalf of a 'friend' with certain issues....... :)

to touch on 2 subjeccts here a deaf person may not be able to hear words but they can hear sounds especially a loud bang sound and most hear can hear a sharp high pitch ring like a sharp tap on steel as for a boat going overhead they probably hear that as well with the fact when you surface you are supposed to look up anyway .as for medical im a type 2 diabetic that i control with pills like most others and was turned down for a discover scuba 2 years ago because of it but had no problems getting my padi at home and my local dive shop where i train has my doctors note clearing me and was told that i shouldnt need a copy when diving elsewhere and if a problem arose they could contact them.a simple solution would be if you answer yes to any of the questions on a medical questionnaire is that you sign a waiver that no one in your family can hold the dive shop accountable if something happens to you related to your medical history .i know my body when it comes to my meds and i make sure to eat properly especially when diving so my blood sugar isnt going to be low or to high the morning of a dive if i dont feel right i am not going to put myself at risk just like anybody else would

HIPAA-- What is that? 12 years (4 as a dive pro) , and I have no idea. If you sign the medical form with ONE "yes", you need a note from your Dr. It doesn't mean that it's
never happened that some one filled in all "yes"'s since before signing up for OW his/her doc said you were in great shape. I''s NEVER happened that a shop inferred that you shouldn't mark a "no" because it would mess up your course....Really, such insurance company silliness.

Back
Top Bottom