The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about tipping the boat crew for cert dives? I know that for normal after cert dives its "expected" but what about when you are getting certified?

After eight years of teaching, I received my first tip this summer. I was shocked, and did'nt really no what to say. I have never really expected one in the past (or future). It was nice though, paid for my gas on the trip home.

I prefer the gift method, as someone mentioned. If they've done a LOT for you, such as extra help, free gear rentals, or whatever. that sort of thing then theres nothing wrong with showing your appreciation. a tip nah, tips are kind of weird to me. When I worked at a computer shop years back, some customer gave me and one of the other guys a tip, and working at a security company, a customer tipped me and one of the other guys as well. it felt WEIRD to me. I actually felt uneasy about the tip but was convinced to keep it by the customer, and or the fellow employee. Other people, like my parents convinced me it was perfectly alright. but to me it just felt weird. If I've done a lot to help you I would much rather be shown it thru some form, a card, a letter, a small token/gift. I'm happy to help everyone a ton regardless of a tip, token, gift, etc. As for my instructor, personnaly he hasn't warranted a tip/gift YET. He's been a GREAT instructor, but so far he hasn't done anything I think is above his "call of duty" but hey, I'm going to take Adv. OW from him (hes trying to get a class scheduled right after OW)

The LDS has been great, and I'm thinking about e-mailing them and asking them if they would like to have available to them the software I've written, I would customize it to be "thier" program (having thier company name in it etc) as just a gift to them, if they want to repay me for it, fine, but I just thought it would be something nice they could give thier customers for free, as a gift from me just for being so helpfull, also was going to see about if they wouldnt mind me trying to redesign thier web site (just for something to do) and if they like the redesign they can have it.

Ok enough, I'm talking WAY too much today :D

That is all!

Like any instruction-based business if a job is well done it may be rewarded. But shame on any instructor who even implies through gestures or conduct that it is required.

Most instructors (who aren't living in poverty) have a day job (or some other form of income). Typical pay is 10 bucks a dive - or 50 bucks per student. In some of the best resorts and shops 100 bucks a head - a few shops pay a minimum 4 head count even when teaching fewer students.

But if you consider classroom time, shop tours, sales, CW dives, OW dives, and paperwork - it works out to less than minimum wage. The other posters aren't joking - it is a labor of love - and an opportunity to get wet :)

To those inclined to think in terms of 10% or less, look at it this way: If you boss thought you worked less hard than you "could" on any given day, would it be fair for him/her not to pay youl? Should you get docked if you surf scubaboards with company equipment?

I'd say 10% a dive is a minimum range, with twice that due if they help with special equipment (say, make a special effort to have Nitrox tanks on the boat for me when I fly in from out of town.)

To take Wreckwriter's point one step further, rough conditions probably justify a higher tip, not a lower one, particualarly if they make an extra effort to help pull the dives off safely.

Depends. I usually only go out with operators that I know so, they don't end up doing anything for me. I don't want them carrying my gear, putting it away or helping me when I get back on the boat. I typically give them a tip just for leaving me alone. If I happen to go out on a boat where the crew tries to do everything and won't just leave me alone, they don't get a tip. Usually $10.00 though.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I don't want them carrying my gear, putting it away or helping me when I get back on the boat. I typically give them a tip just for leaving me alone. If I happen to go out on a boat where the crew tries to do everything and won't just leave me alone, they don't get a tip.

Do you tell them in advance how they can best earn a tip from you? Or do leave them wondering what the problem was when they get nothing after busting their hump trying to help you out?

Marc :jester:

Yeah, I do tell them. They listen most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom