The Fin Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fear your boyfriend is a fin bigot... I was out of diving when splits came on the market and aside from some of the excellent examples of bad kicking styles and real or imagined threats to your life, I can't see any deep reason to not have splits. Of coarse, there is no explaining matters of the heart... So if you love him go to the dive shop and ask them for the most freaking expensive fins they stock and start looking. He may love you a little less after he plunks down $230 on some really, truly, totally rad dive fins (in blue), but a great pair of fins are something you will cherish. And while you're at it, gets a matching mask and snorkel, because, a girl needs to accessorize....

You guys are great! Thanks for the colon toothbrush image that is now engraved into my brain and I can't unsee it now. Ha. When I said I like them, I was referring to the video and the way they looked. I haven't tried them as of yet so I don't know if I like them for myself. He isn't trying to dictate what I can and can't have just what he will buy. If I want split fins I can have them just have to pay for them myself. He knows me pretty well, and doesn't think I will like them long term, he has used them and disliked them, so he doesn't wanted to spend money on something I will never use. I do worry about the fitness part and carrying all the equipment. Going to the gym today for fear of being mistaken for a whale and being harpooned when diving.

I fear your boyfriend is a fin bigot...

That is funny.

There is no way the OP can know what fins she needs having never used them for the intended purpose, SCUBA, and cannot possibly base a good purchase decision upon the color (blue). I have been sport diving for 40 plus years and still have not found the perfect fin which could be why I own several dozen sets of various fins.

Here it comes, the most universal, do everything fin, is the Scubapro Jet. All serious, enthusiast divers need a pair. They are never a bad purchase.

N

The following link may be helpful: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPtU7-G5uP4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd be happy to argue this with Andrew in person....but not here....What he misses, is that he does not know what conditions all these divers will be in, or what their missions are ( and they do have a right to missions that could call for higher speed), and it is just plain STUPID to suggest that you should be using a scooter if you know you may need to go fast.

I have a Gavin Scooter....it is often NOT practical to bring the Gavin scooter on many boats, and many dive locations...not to mention what a pain in the butt it is to deal with the scooter when you don't need it. Fins should be able to go slow, be precise, and they should be able to go fast if needed.
Jets stink because they are very poor at high speed--inefficient..... But of course someone like AG, is going to rationalize that if "his fin" ( the Jet) is not good at high speed, then of course, you should not be going fast.
Ever heard of a NON SEQUITUR ? :)

I have no intentions of going fast unless there is a very good reason for me too. This should be a relaxing hobby and an escape from my real life above water and something my bf and I can do together. I will start shopping for my perfect fins for me next week.

Buy whatever fits you the best. Most of the arguments against Splits depend on the individual. My wife frog kicks, has for nearly 40 years. For the last 8 years she has had splits, guess what - she still frog kicks.

My boyfriend told me he would buy me some new fins for my class as long as I didn't get the split fin. Well, guess which ones I like? Of course, the split fins. So, any advice or comments, suggestions on which style fin would benefit a new diver?

Three important things: weight, stiffness and colour

1) If your feet tend to float up then you may need heavier fins (or better skill). Drysuit divers often prefer heavy fins as these divers may have air in the boots/legs. Rubber fins tend to be heavy and and thus good with drysuits. Heavy plastic fins also may exist, but I personally only know heavy rubber fins.

2) If you want to reverse, or have precision control over your position in the water (e.g. doing photography), then stiff fins will make life a bit easier: you can actualy move and turn and twist them in a predictable manner. Reversing is possible with both stiff rubber fins and with more flexible plastic fins (I have done it with both). However, a) if the fins are flexible, it gets more difficult to reverse and turn and b) rubber fins are stiff, but not all plastic fins are.

3) not everybody needs to reverse or have exact control of position. For these people the more flexible fins may be more fun to use. It depends on personal preference and the feel of the specific fin to be used.

4) it is important that you enjoy using your equipment, so choosing a favorite colour may actually be important.

I have seen divers use white and bright yellow fins deep inside mines and paint their black rubber fins with silver paint, and these were adult men and skilled 'tehnical' divers. Nothing wrong with a dash of colour. Not all must be black.

Last edited:
Is it okay if I take advantage of this thread to get a review on "Mares Power Plana Fins"? Mares Power Plana Fins at LeisurePro

MRSFPP.jpg

Get some non-split fins....//... No point kidding yourself about it....you will end up with more than one pair sooner or later; so buy your own split fins later on.

Then you'll have them both, and can feel the difference for yourself.
Different fins are like gears on a bike. ...//...

Just read through the whole thread due to this post. Yes, I'd have to agree with starting with something like a pair of Mares Quattro's or something similar.

...//... Split Fins might end up being the right fins for you... but you're not currently in any position to determine that. ...//...

Most likely, quite true. So put yourself into that position...

...//... Best advice: Try a few types. Talk to people diving your home waters. ...//...

Yes.

Is it okay if I take advantage of this thread to get a review on "Mares Power Plana Fins"? ...//...

They look cool. Try the normal stuff first...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom