The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally have no respect for Leisure Pro. I checked their website not too long ago for a price on the MK2 R190 reg. The advertisement, and the pic was for the MK2 but the description was for a MK10..which hasn't been manufactured (or at least in their catalog) for at least 3 years. I emailed them to find out exactly which one they were selling at that price, and never got an answer back from them.

As of last week, that same ad (description and all) was still on their webpage. Kinda makes you wonder, now doesn't it????

I've posted this link before, and I think others have too. But I think it's worth posting again.

From an article in 1998 Undercurrents:

Tom Allen, Regional Business Manager for the Scubapro line, called Leisure Pro and ordered the SeaHawk BC for $349.95 (suggested retail is $649). The counterfeit that arrived was a reasonably good knock off, "styled identically, the same color, made from the same fabric, identical stitching, identical black strapping with blue lines, and two of JWA's logos, including the stylized "S" mark. . . It included no instructions, owner's manual, or registration card - all of which is always included with the genuine SeaHawk BC. Without the instruction manual, divers may not be able to operate the BC properly or safely. Without a registration card mailed by the purchaser to Scubapro, purchasers cannot be provided with warranty service or be notified of defects or recalls."

They also note that "like the counterfeit BC that Mr. Allen received through the mail from Leisure Pro, the counterfeit BCs purchased by the Leisure Pro customers had valves and inflation mechanisms different from that on a genuine SeaHawk BC ... and did not inflate properly. This defect would make the BCs impossible to use to properly regulate buoyancy."

The complete article is still available here -
htp://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Grey9808.shtml

Now, LP does state that they are a member of the Better Business Bureau, and this article is from 1998, so it may be worth your while to investigate further. Personally I will choose to stay away from a company that would sell anything in this manner.

Does anybody know the outcome of this lawsuit?

Jon T

The bottom line is that LP is very shady and if you want good gear, get it from your local shop or from stores that have what you want online. If you want to play, then sometimes you have to pay. With the internet, the buyer has the ability to research and shop around.

Eric

I suspect the same is happening with the UK online discount diveshops.

Recently (about 9 months - 1 year ago), europe enforced a new manufacturing standard (EN141) for cylinders. Old spec cylinders aren't made any more. Now, as I'm temporarily displaced having a europe-wide tank would be good, as mine are UK spec (which I can't use in france). I've seen many good prices over the net, and I have filled in the quote forms for a twinset, which I will collect next time I go to the UK. Every time I have specified the new EN141 (rather than BS5045 - the old UK spec) I have had no reply. Yesterday, I filled in the form without putting in the spec for the tank and got a quote within 3 or 4 hours.

Why is it I wonder that I get no reply, when I ask explicit questions, and when I give a far more general spec (Twin 10's 232 bar, isolator manifold, DIN valves, stainless steel bands, and valve guard) I get a reply straight away.
Are they so dopey that they don't understand the spec?
Don't they want to sell new cylinders?
Have they gone round buying up peoples stock of old spec cylinders on the cheap?
Makes me wary of buying goods online.

Jon T

(for the UK people - these are the new cylinders that have the funny black and white quarters over the top part, that have been appearing over the last year or so.)

Dear Everybody -

Any gear purchased from other than an AUTHORIZED Scubapro dealer (with a valid dealer number) will NOT be covered by a Scubapro warranty. The Scubapro warranty covers free parts as long as you own the reg. All you ever pay for is the labor (typically $20 - $25 per stage).

Thanks, Ken
(Yes, I'm a Scubapro Dealer)

The problem is that the customer (usually a new diver) assumes or may be told that the product is covered under warrenty. And only when it fails or needs an overhaul do they see what there discount was worth.

Eric

For perspective, in order to keep that "Limited Lifetime Warranty" under Scubapro, you MUST get that reg serviced annually. Now it can be argued that you should be doing that anyway, but I've heard from some on other boards that once missed, your "free parts" for life is gone.

On the other hand, Atomic is now stating quite plainly in their warranty that even if you don't service the darn thing, if it's a manufacturers defect of a part, it is warranted. That and they give a recommended 2 years between overhauls, or 300 hours. I like the hour specification, that makes MUCH more sense to me than simply saying annual.

Getting back to LP, I do not think LP only buys from shops that are going out of business. They are NOT the Wal-Mart of the dive world. I'm sure there are many shops that liquidate excess inventory at the end of a product life cycle or when tax is due. Heck, the shop probably shows it as a sale, which is fine for their numbers with the manufacturer.

There is an article on undercurrents regarding the "behind the scenes of the grey market", anyone read it? I need to subscribe.

I'm with you on that. I just can't see how they could manage to maintain the stock and up-to-date products that they do, if they only buy through the grey market. The manufactors have to be supplying them, there's no other explanation. Looks like a good deal for the manufactor as well, since they get to sell the gear and be through with it from that point accepting no responsiblity for defects and warranties. Kinda like OEM computer products. If you call up IBM for instance and ask for a RMA for an OEM hard drive you bought through an online vendor, they will most likely tell you to seek your relief through that vendor. Which is in my opinion, just the price of buying the cheaper OEM products. Good for me, since I can usually solve my own PC related problems, but bad for someone who can not.

I have that issue of Undercurrent around here somewhere, but don't recall that article, I'll have to look at it again.

hi
I recently called and made a purchase thru leisure pros in nyc
I've purchased from them before but always went to the location, this is my first time making a purchase over the phone with them.
I was offered a used Mares Abyss Reg for almost $150 off full price. I advised them i was leaving on a trip in 6 days to deliver ups express. i got it within 2 days. upon opening box, I received a Mares Abyss Octo not the Mares Abyss Reg. I sent them an email because because they were already closed.
Next business day i called them, told them what happened. said i was leaving in 2 days to please fix the error.
I was told they'll have to investigate, it'll take a couple of days, to send the octo back they'll have to check on the error. which is great for them but leaves me with nothing for my trip in 2 days.
Seeing this was an error on their part, wouldn't it be better if they helped in getting me the right product as soon as possible. they could have sent me the reg same way ups express with a box for box exchange when Ups came to my house.. but leisure pros didn't offer anything other than we'll check it out... some help that is.....

i've purchased online before and when a mistake was made the vendor made every effort to satify the customer...

i rate Leisure Pros with a - 10 with phone or online purchases. as far as purchases made at there location i rate them a 10.

if anyone has similar experiences or has a connection with them please i want to hear from you !!!

ScubaRescuePd@aol.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom