The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if LP is a dealer for the brand you bought but at least some of the stuff you buy on-line is old stock they buy from dive shops for pennies on the dollar. Thats where the deals come from and that is one way the get stuff without being a dealer.

Why should you care? The reason is thatone of these regs may have been sitting for a long time. The seats in the reg go bad wether it is used or not. I have already fixed several that came brand new in the box but had baad HP seats in the first stage. This indicates the reg was around a while and that it was not checked before being shipped.

In one case the reg was an Apeks with the Zeagle name on it. When I told the guy that the seat was bad and it needed to be rebuilt his response was that I was wrong because it was a new reg. I then pointed out that it had to be about least two years old because it had the Zeagle name and there is currently no such thing as a new Apeks with the Zeagle name on it.

He bought someones old stock and it needed replacement parts when he bought it.

The same thing can happen to a reg if a shop sells it after having it for a long time. The difference (at least in theory) is that we test and fix if required before selling it. If a reg sits for very long I put the rebuild kit in even if the reg is working because I know the seats are likely not in the best of shape.

By all means you should be able to work on your own reg if you choose, just like you can work on your own car if you choose. Even if you don't want to do your own service you should know enough to do simple field checks and repairs, just like you should be able to check the oil or change a flat tire on your car.

....and on that note, what are the requirements for taking a equipment maintenance course?

If you mean from the manufacturer, you usually must be sent by a shop who is a dealer for that brand. Most of the manufacturers classes I have had were useless but they give you a nice wall certificate. The exception was the class put on by Zeagle taught by Jim Fox. Your best bet is to get oxyhackers book. No matter what, you won't be able to get parts from the manufacturer unless you are a dealer.

Vance Harlow's
SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR
available here

This should be required reading IMHO

Genesis once bubbled...
for some regs (particularly Scubapro) are available from DiveInn.

I looked today and Scubapro parts are off the menu. But some Aqualung parts have been added. Mares were still there.

....I faxed LP my shipping receipts this morning just as a back up to let them know that things are moving along and to reiterate my expectations. Haven't heard from them today(nor did I figure I would).
....I wonder if anyone from LP is peeking at these posts???
Thanks for the input on where to get inside info on maintenance/repair of regs....

You guys are not serious about complaining cause your new reg freeflows...???

Most regs will.... until you make the adjustment needed. It usually is very simple. Have an allen wrench/key? I can't believe you actually spent all the time and energy to return the regs. Likely when you receive your next one(s) they will do the same thing. ITS OK... just adjust them or have someone do it for you.
It is no reason to return the reg(s).

This is no reason to insinuate that Leisurepro is bad, or you received a bum piece of equipment.

If it makes you feel any better... my regs do the same thing when I buy them from my LDS.

I find it disturbing that these remarks come about with regard to ordering online. Also.... you need to allow 10-14 business days for delivery whenever you order online, if it gets there sooner be happy.... if not.... don't EVEN complain.

Also.. not all online etailers sell "old" dive gear. That is simply not true.

JMO.

I didn't say that all online retailers sell old gear all the time. I said some do sometimes and that is a fact because I have serviced the stuff. And owning a shop I know how some of them get their merchandise becayse they have tried to buy from me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom