The last time I ask a wetsuit diver to zip my drysuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh don't you go grouping us all together now. Some of us wetsuit divers just aren't as neat or diligent as others. The latter will zip a zipper fully and keep everything neat and tidy regardless of zipper type or function. :D
Just don't ask us to help you with your relief zipper.

Not unique to wetsuit diver. When I had my back zip cf200, I have to asked people to zip me up. My buddies all dive drysuit, but they still get undergarment caught in zipper. Not every time, but often enough to raise my concern. Another reason not to have a backzip suit.

I've zipped up a few dry guys over the years. No problems yet. Probably just luck, as I can be a klutz at times. Course, I'm well aware of the zipper costs. "Don't force it and make sure nothing's caught in it". Sound advice... I practise that regularly with my fly.

Not long ago I dived with someone who had a wet suit with a back zipper. (No, I don't know the brand.) We were diving out of his van, and he had an interesting process for zipping up his suit. He had one of those 2 foot rubber ties with a hook on each end, the kind commonly used to secure loads, like a strong bungee cord. He hooked one end to a slot in the back of his van and the other to the open zipper. He then turned his boy a quarter turn and Presto!--He was all zipped up.

I use front zip, myself.

I'll try doing the video, but in the interest of a quick response I'lll provide what I've learned to self-don and doff the suit:

What I've found to be most difficult is getting the zipper started at each end. That is where the tricks come handy.
1. Before putting the arms in the sleeves, I pre-start the zipper by closing it about 4". With the zipper closed 4-6", I can still get mr armed and head into the suit . For someone larger, it may need to be less, but key is having the zipper started.
2. Try to keep the suit and zipper tight by rolling the shoulders forwar, bending the left elbow and arm, while reaching behind the head and grasping the zipper with the right hand.
3. Once started in either direction, you just have to flex the arm and shoulder behind the zipper to tighten the suit and cause it to pull against the zipper pull held in the other hand.

It's more about using the arm and shoulder not pulling the zipper to help pull the suit against the zipper than it is about being flexible. If you can raise your arm straight up, bend your elbow behind your head and touch the top of the opposite shoulder, flexibility shouldn't be an issue.

Wet, dry, we're all one family in Scuba. Zipper incidents happen, and the at fault party is footing the bill. Next time he will be better at helping. Some zipper incidents are worse than others. You can probably think of some pretty bad ones. I have a story that involves a zipper and a nipple but I will keep it to myself. Remember the rule of helping someone else in scuba: Help only if you are asked for help and you are competent to assist with the task at hand. If you aren't sure about your dry suit zipper skills, admit it and let someone else be the helper.
DivemasterDennis

I can zip myself into a backzip drysuit or semi dry no problem....hand over shoulder and then switch halfway across the back....honestly have never had an issue....I actually have a harder time with my stupid front zip fusion and getting it all the way zipped in the front...

My housemate, a local instructor who divers dry, frequently has me (a lowly wetsuit diver) zip his dry suit up. Since I'm a PhD, I "obviously" know a thing or two about zippers and use an extended finger under the zipper to ensure his undergarments don't get caught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom