The mythical "perfect" knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come up to New England, I'll put you on some wrecks where you will wish you had a knife, shears, and wire cutters within less then 5 minutes. I can also put you on wrecks that has never seen a fishing line.

Any global statements like these are the result of not seeing many deferring underwater environments. Knifes, shears, and wire cutters are tools. Take and use the right tools for the job you are doing. Most dive sites have at least some histories from other divers, use those histories and reports to plan what tools you will need and take only what you will need.

Take a small "sharp" knife and some shears unless the recent reports say that they are not needed.

Did I say that the knife needs to be SHARP. When was the last time you took a stone and dressed up your knifes edge?

I can see your point but when I go diving I'm not really doing a job. I'm just looking/exploring. Honestly, if someone told me that I would need wire cutters to be able to safely complete a dive, I doubt I would be interested in the dive. Diving for me is a relaxation event.

But I agree that if you are going to carry one, it should at least be sharp although I think shears would be more than enough to free a person of the "fishing line" monster.

The thing with Shears is that they don't work all that well if the snarl is in your valves behind your head. With a knife you can pass it over your head and try to catch enough of the snarl to grab it and then cut with shears or the knife.

What I worry the most about up here is 90# test/wire leader, lobster pot line, and net in limited vis. I have hit all of them without knowing they were there.

In the clear water it is much easier as you can see the big stuff and the small stuff will have junk on it if it is a few weeks old that can also be seen.

Down in NC I would most likely just take a shear and small knife. The knife mostly to scrape with to see if something was brass.

There can be surprises anywhere. Like the only place I've ever gotten caught in fishing line was Bonaire, go figure.

Go to Sizzler and order the $8.95 sirloin. When it comes ask for a doggie bag. Put the steak and the 10 cent steak knife supplied in the bag. Go home and feed the steak to your dog and cut the blade of the knife off leaving just 1" of serration. This is what DSS provides with their BP/Ws and it works quite well.

I've used the blunt version of this one for 5 years, love it. Big enough to handle safely/easily, but not a rambo machete. If you're creative theres many ways to attach it. I took a 8" section of leftover webbing, sewed it into a loop, attached it to sheath, and now it slides on my waist strap. Definitely go titanium if you can, there's cheaper similar models out there. I think XS Scuba bought oceanmaster and jacked up the price by $40, I paid maybe $70.

XS Scuba Beta Titanium Dive Knife reviews and discounts, XS Scuba

best knife ever... Wenoka Squeeze Lock knife from deep see. I love this knife and it is exactly what youre looking for.

I don't know what your level and experience of diving is, but it seems to me that so many new divers suffer from the "bad guys attacking you underwater and you need to cut their regulator hoses" syndrome a-la the old "Sea Hunt" episodes thus necessitating a big bad diver knife which would make Jim Bowie cower like a frightened puppy.

While a knife can be a handy and, on the rare occasion, necessary tool, it will probably the most unused piece of gear a diver carrys, right up there with the snorkel.

I think I've had to use my knife once in the last ten or so years.

It's not so much the type or style of knife one has, it's more about making sure that it's still sharp if and when one needs to employ it.

Many divers buy a knife, rinse it off from time to time after a dive, but never check to see if it has maintained its edge.

the K

Back
Top Bottom