The only gear you have is a dive watch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive had ZERO beers tonight, this week or even this month - I will have a few in a weeks time though..

When I go shopping for dive watches I dont even CONSIDER anything without a depth gauge, why the hell would I?
Sure, if I just want a fancy wristwatch I can live without a depth gauge, but why would a watch become a dive wach just because its waterproof?
Because the marketing department of whatever manufacturer hype it?

As long as I have a way to tell depth and time, I'm fine. After all, I do most of my diving these days with a bottom timer, anyway, and that's all the information it gives me. I don't think I would dive without a way to tell depth.

When I go shopping for dive watches I dont even CONSIDER anything without a depth gauge, why the hell would I? Sure, if I just want a fancy wristwatch I can live without a depth gauge, but why would a watch become a dive wach just because its waterproof? Because the marketing department of whatever manufacturer hype it?

IMHO your rant is unjustified... a watch is an instrument that measures time. A dive watch is an instrument that measures time underwater. A submerged pressure gauge measures depth underwater. AFAIK there are only a few dive watches (eg some Citizen Aqualand) that measure depth, the majority do not. Most just measure elapsed time and meet the ISO standard Water Resistant mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is what determines if you can call it a dive watch - not the marketing department or whether it has a depth gauge. As has already been pointed out in early times people used a watch and a dedicated SPG plus tables to determine their dive times

The uwatec aladin has a self-serviceable battery that you can just pick out for a couple of seconds?
A
Are you sure?
Do you know what you are talking about?
If it is so easy as suggested then I wonder why all those old posts about replacing the battery!
Just draining the oil will take more than few seconds!!

Last edited:
A
Are you sure?
Do you know what you are talking about?
If it is so easy as suggested then I wonder why all those old posts about replacing the battery!
Just draining the oil will take more than few seconds!!
I HAVE an Uwatec Aladin so yes. There is no oil in it and the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the computer so you need no pressure testing afterwards either..

I HAVE an Uwatec Aladin so yes. There is no oil in it and the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the computer so you need no pressure testing afterwards either..

Your is a Uwatec Aladin "Prime" one of the many products came out from the line.
There are some others eg. Pro Nitrox and Pro, which are filled with oil and changing battery cannot be done in sec unless you are talking thousands of it!

And the Aladins also have the tec, 2g and quite a few others with the same design as the prime...

If the only requirement you have for it to be a dive watch is that you can bring it diving, I can as well call it a swim-watch, surf-watch, skiing-watch or whatever, cant I?

You can call it what ever you like. I call my Tudor Submariner a watch. I've had it for about 30 years or so and have never had to replace the batteries, not even once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom