The only gear you have is a dive watch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a small table with NDL on my watch band and my watch has a depth gauge too. I would assume I could rent a reg set with and SPG if I was renting equipment. I guess I would be pretty much set for at least one dive.

lets see, 60/60; 100/25, yep, that's the "old way".... got a couple in between also rotting away in this noggin. Doesn't do much for repetitive dives though....

Amazing how many reasons people can find for not answering a question...

I've done vacation dives with just a timer & depth gauge, or even just a timer if I know the hard bottom of the dive site. For single NDL dives the "rule" (of thumb) of 45 works in a pinch... subtract your depth in metres from 45 and that's your NDL time. THen do a nice slow ascent and a safety stop. The shallower you get the more conservative the "rule" is but if you're in <20m then you don't need to worry about NDL so much anyway

Ive not done exactyl what you describe, but I HAVE had my computer die on me at the beginning of a dive ("someone" was sloppy when replacing the battery) and what do you know, I actually do have a a dive watch. I have a pretty decent idea of what kinda profiles I can dive on multilevel dives and I have a table in my bcd pocket. Lets keep diving :wink:

Yep, easy enough to just remember the ndl tables and do min deco.

Alternatively if your memory is not so good but your wallet is thick there are some nice watch sized dive computers...

This is assuming the rental reg has some kind of depth gauge on it...

I dont call a watch a dive watch without a depth gauge in it, so if all I have is my dive watch, that means I have a timer and I have a depth gauge..

Rule of 120 (depth+NDL=120) or 130 (for Nx32), half the Bottomtime for a SI off less than 2hrs. Conservative, but beat sittin on the dock. Or just borrow the shop's tables and go have fun.

I have done exactly what you describe a few times in southeast asia. Fun was had by all :)

Rule of 120 (depth+NDL=120) or 130 (for Nx32), half the Bottomtime for a SI off less than 2hrs. Conservative, but beat sittin on the dock. Or just borrow the shop's tables and go have fun.

I have done exactly what you describe a few times in southeast asia. Fun was had by all :)

Its good to memorize some "on-the-fly" rules anyhow, for the occasion when your computer has problems.

Probably the one thing to take into account in your mental preparation is whether you will be using metric or English (bar or psi, feet or meters) systems. If your rental equipment has the alternate system from what you are used to, then your memorized guidelines won't work, and in fact it will be a bit confusing as you will have to translate depth and tank pressure in your mind as you go to have a clue whats going on.

Does Canada follow the lead of the US, or have they joined the rest of the world in the beautiful simplicity of metric?

Its good to memorize some "on-the-fly" rules anyhow, for the occasion when your computer has problems.

Probably the one thing to take into account in your mental preparation is whether you will be using metric or English (bar or psi, feet or meters) systems. If your rental equipment has the alternate system from what you are used to, then your memorized guidelines won't work, and in fact it will be a bit confusing as you will have to translate depth and tank pressure in your mind as you go to have a clue whats going on.

Does Canada follow the lead of the US, or have they joined the rest of the world in the beautiful simplicity of metric?

Canada is very confused. Officially it uses the metric system but imperial (English) is in common unofficial use. Weights are in pounds, heights in feet/inches, and I've never seen a diver use metric for depth or pressure although odds are there are a few. Even in the US there's at least one diver who uses metric :)

Back
Top Bottom