The only gear you have is a dive watch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen a dive operator rent out a computer that has just been used by another diver to a diver about to do his first dive of the day!

Personally if all I have is my dive watch then I rent everything else and use tables.

Assuming the computer wasn't reset between users which would be best, all this does is limit the second divers bottom time. It makes the second divers profile more conservative.

It's the other way around that you have to worry about from a DCS perspective - "I lost my computer on dive 1, may I use a fresh computer for dive 2?" That's a no no since the fresh computer doesn't know the diver already has some nitrogen loading.

you could get a dive app for your smartphone, there are plenty available. However, this doesn't solve the depth guage issue if neither your dive watch or rental reg set have it.

Not that I do this all the time.....

A couple years ago I renewed my DAN before a trip to Jamaica. I was retired from diving at the time but figured I might get one in.

I walked up to the dive shop and was immediately recognized by the DM as we had met on a previous trip.

He didn't ask for a c card or a credit card cause he knew me and it was an AI resort and everything was free.

He didn't ask for a log book as he knew I was a good diver.

I geared up and mentioned that I didn't have a watch. We discussed that I'd just dive his profile or shallower.

Trust me dive? Slightly. A very informed trust though. I like to think of it as just using his times as a team resource.

you could get a dive app for your smartphone, there are plenty available. However, this doesn't solve the depth guage issue if neither your dive watch or rental reg set have it.
Why would anyone have a dive watch WITHOUT a depth gauge? Infact, how would anyone let a watch pass as a DIVE watch without it??
If its not got a depth gauge its nothing but a waterproof wristwatch..

I dont care what brand it says or what the marketing department says it is, if it dont have a depth gauge its as much a dive watch as a bicycle is a motorbike..

Well, actually it is an original dive watch. To claim otherwise is like claiming that one of those modern 3 wheel things with A/C, reverse and radio is a true motorcycle and a 1959 Bonneville is something less becuase it lacks these things that old riders found they neither needed nor want.

The uwatec aladin has a self-serviceable battery that you can just pick out for a couple of seconds?

For the OP, I imagine that most dive shops/ceters will let you borrow or at least see a set of tables before you rent gear or sign up for a dive.... So what I would do (if on a lean budget) is borrow tables before the dive.

FOr Tigerman,
I dont care what brand it says or what the marketing department says it is, if it dont have a depth gauge its as much a dive watch as a bicycle is a motorbike..
how many beers did you have before posting your thoughts about dive watches??

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom