The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Elsewhere on the board is a question about why people got into DIR. This is kind of the opposite question that I am interested in finding out the thoughts of others. As has been pointed out, people can get touchy on both sides of the DIR fence. This is not meant to be a troll so let's not turn it into one.

I have a fairly good idea what DIR is, and I even agree with a lot, but not all, of what they say and the way they dive. I choose not to dive that way for a variety of reasons including 1) I actually enjoy diving with brand new divers (none of which are DIR), 2) I can't afford the equipment that I would probably need to buy someday, 3) I do fairly simple diving that does not seem to warrant the need for the additional benefits of DIR.

The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR? I too want an honest answer not the run of the mill gobbletygooop. Remember no name calling, no bashing, no bull, no proselytizing, simple honest answers. Politeness seems to have survived for a while in the other thread, so I have hopes for this one. If the MODS don't think this is a legitimate post. By all means trash the thread. No hard feelings.

(thanks Fred for the idea)

I actually only heard about DIR when I joined ScubaBoard. I'm curious as to what's involved so follow some of the DIR threads with interest. I do like safe diving practice - but I really don't know enough yet to be able to say if it's for me or not! I do suspect though that there is probably not much of it in Japan (especially if I see how some of them dive here!!!)

I might not have enough information here, but the reason of why I didn't (have) plan for DIR is.... I don't think DIR provide additional value for my diving safety. In my opinion, it will end up in the diver itself, whether they follow the limit, know their ability and limit, etc, not the DIR training.

Zippsy:
Elsewhere on the board is a question about why people got into DIR. This is kind of the opposite question that I am interested in finding out the thoughts of others. As has been pointed out, people can get touchy on both sides of the DIR fence. This is not meant to be a troll so let's not turn it into one.

I have a fairly good idea what DIR is, and I even agree with a lot, but not all, of what they say and the way they dive. I choose not to dive that way for a variety of reasons including 1) I actually enjoy diving with brand new divers (none of which are DIR), 2) I can't afford the equipment that I would probably need to buy someday, 3) I do fairly simple diving that does not seem to warrant the need for the additional benefits of DIR.

The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR? I too want an honest answer not the run of the mill gobbletygooop. Remember no name calling, no bashing, no bull, no proselytizing, simple honest answers. Politeness seems to have survived for a while in the other thread, so I have hopes for this one. If the MODS don't think this is a legitimate post. By all means trash the thread. No hard feelings.

(thanks Fred for the idea)

I don't think that DIR is something you either "are" or "are not". It's a range of behaviours, equipment choices, techniques and attitudes (at least to me), which revolve around risk management, communication, technique and so on. It's about making sure that everyone is on the same page, that everyone knows what to expect, when, how and why.

There is a lot of focus given to the gear because that's easy to identify. i would say that the gear is a "result" of going DIR, not a starting point. I don't understand why people buy the gear and then "go DIR". To me this doesn't make any sense. What makes even less sense to me is people who buy the gear and say "I am DIR"..... to me that's like buying expensive sunglasses and thinking it makes you a supermodel.....

As for myself. I've adopted what I can from DIR without going to a huge expense. This year I'm planning to invest in some bits of gear so I'll be moving further along the scale I guess ....... I'm sure I'll refer to DIR in making some of my choices but ultimately it's my choice and my diivng and I'm likely to use DIR as a baseline reference (as the only documented set of best practices we have in diving) and invent my own wheel from there ..... Chances are I'll end up with a hybrid configuration (again) along Holgarthian lines but I'll take what makes sense from DIR and try to integrate that into my diving. Maybe in the long term I'll end up "being" DIR but it's not really a goal.

R..

Zippsy:
The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR?

I have been teaching diving for 30 years, at the age of 18 I became an instructor. Been a diver since I was 12.

I just don't need dudes who have been around 3 or 4 years telling me how to dive.

Capt Jim Wyatt:
I have been teaching diving for 30 years, at the age of 18 I became an instructor. Been a diver since I was 12.

I just don't need dudes who have been around 3 or 4 years telling me how to dive.

IF my info is correct (I trust the source) "JJ" has only been diving since around '92. Not very long for a head of an agency....

I choose not to be DIR based on my many years of playing with my gear.. I firmly don't believe one gear config fits all situations..

padiscubapro:
Not very long for a head of an agency....
Sounds a bit like most heads of state - never did it before :f:

I must admit before finding scuba board i had a much lower opinion of what DIR followers were like. However i still feel on the whole they have a hollier than thou approach to everything which i find uncomfortable. The closeness between GUE and Halcyon obviously cannot be undone but the constant Zealous promoting of "H" products by some DIRists (is that a word, it is now) is just so predictable. They (DIRists) may argue that some members of this board have overly promoted the oxycheq wings etc without them being proven yet however i think this is simply a kickback against this Halcyonism. For instance when the Oxy wings were first released with only a picture as an idea as too what they looked like, a DIRists replied "use that and you will probably kill yourself"

Cream rises to the top but far too much of the vocal side of DIR is sinking to the bottom, and comes over as cyber diving IMHO.

Zippsy can have a good laugh at this as i now have a backplate and wing, however i wouldn't call it DIR and certainly not tec as i'm using it for single tanks only

I do not qualify under the heading of "a DIR diver" because I have not taken the courses under that heading, or purchased the "specific" DIR gear, nor have I even read any legitimate information of the subject. I have choosen not to enter this realm purely based on the rantings of who are commonly refered to as ... well, you have heard them rant. This is unfortunate for many of us because I think that we all improve with a sharing of knowledge. From what I understand from conversations with (real) DIR tech divers is that the original basis of DIR is (but not limited to) the concept of both human and dive gear function, ability, and performance, all wrapped around consistancy. A positive attitude toward health and fitness, and an understanding of your own limitations. I feel that I can do all of this without someone elses stamp of approval.

Unfortunately the surface area of DIR is skinned pretty thick with external marketing of specific products, an aire of elite snobbery "I am and you are not" private club status, and a holyer than thou attitude.
The worst part of the entire contoversy is the fact that many divers are either hidding behind their own group-based DIR blanket of fear of redicule, or straying away from other pieces of safety equiptment or techniques (some DIR, some not) because of being told that "this other way is the ONLY way".

Personally, I don't care how long you have been diving, or where, or with whom you have trained. There is no substitute for an open mind and a willingness to learn. And this goes for the newly certified as well as the vintage "C" card holders.

There are old divers and there are bold divers but there are no old bold divers. I am a firm beliver in the idea of 'a good diver is always training'. I have been diving since 1990 and I have well over one thousand dives, and I learn something new every day. Weither I am playing or working, on the water, in the water, or in the repair shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom