The Padi No Fear Diving Specialty Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow... Really..? "No Fear Diving". I think I'll have someone order a card for me so I can take it to DEMA for a few good laughs. Thats about as funny as the Army stress card used during basic training these days...

Edit, Edit, Edit... Ouch my hand hurts I got spanked. No where did I mention "Blank" in my comments now.

I think the idea of this class may be well intentioned- however it highlights the short comings of some instructors and their perspective agencies who also share the blame.

Ok ... please have a look at my wepbage http://differenttherapy.com/ there is explained what Ergo Therapy is about..

Ergo-therapyin general as well as the ergo- therapeutic based Different Therapy concept involves the use of physical activities, mental exercises and interactional social therapeutic treatment of diseases. In general, Ergo- therapysupports and assists people who are restricted in their ability to act or are being threatened by restrictions. Occupational Ergo-therapy is a recognized therapy which is based on medical, social action-oriented and scientific bases.
Occupational Ergo-therapy is a holistic health care profession[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] that aims to[/FONT] promote health[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] by enabling [/FONT]individuals[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] to perform meaningful and purposeful activities across the lifespan. [/FONT]Ergo-therapy[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] uses treatment to [/FONT]develop, recover or maintain[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] the daily living and work [/FONT]skills[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] of clients with a [/FONT]physical, mental or developmental[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] condition.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]About the recognition of NO Fear Diving please have a look at [/FONT]http://www.scubaearth.com/diver/diver-certifications.aspx?affiliateid=15557368[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]....[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I´s a platform for PADI Professionals .... & only those will have access..... !!! for the other people ... here a screen shot ...

[/FONT] Diver Certifications Oliver Radosav.jpg[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]But there will be a webpage soon with more illustration & explanation about the curse...

Please also have a look at http://facebook.com/DifferentTherapy.... there you can see a lot of pic´s about my work... after you pressed the I like button of course
[/FONT]
:D

Yup, I calling BS on this also !!!! mainly because I dont see why does it has to be a padi course.

I don't know if anyone else on the thread is a psychotherapist, but I am, so I'll weigh in...If anyone has a truly crippling phobia, enough that they're willing to travel and spend specialty money on someone to help them get over it, I'm not sure how they'd have made it through certification in the first place, and would think they likely shouldn't have. Otherwise, I'd presume the fears are more in the painful-but-workable realm, and there are already lots of very capable people willing to help students through them without calling it something special.

I'll weigh in from the perspective that I recently had a dive buddy who only had taken up scuba diving a few years earlier to get over his fears/phobias. In general, it wasn't a problem (and we didn't have any incidents) ... but I will say that we "almost" did.

Specifically, on one of our dive-days we pulled up to a wreck and Mr. Buddy mentioned that he had never done any wreck dives. Since I was quite familiar with the wreck, I offered to show him through one or two of its (easiest) passages...we would play it by ear.

All went fine on the dive, but it wasn't until after this dive that he told me of his water phobia, and how stressed out he was on this dive. Hey, I'm glad I was able to help you confrong your phobias, but I didn't particularly appreciate being left in the dark about it. Quite frankly, had I known this about Mr. Buddy upfront, I would have planned/executed the dive very differently.

For those of you who keep talking about PADI approving this for the purpose of making a profit, forget it. When someone takes a Distinctive Specialty class, all the money goes to the instructor/shop that offers it. PADI only makes the fee for processing the card, which isn't much.

I was under the impression that PADI was basically "pay one price" for a PIC envelope, regardless of what training class it was being used for...have I missed something?

-hh

I was under the impression that PADI was basically "pay one price" for a PIC envelope, regardless of what training class it was being used for...have I missed something?
-hh

I you take a standard PADI specialty like EAN, Wreck Diver, etc., there are standard instructional materials that you have to purchase from PADI in addition to the card. In a distinctive specialty, there is only a card.

I agree with those who see no reason for this to have any kind of certification card attacked to it. If you want to offer a special diving training experience for those with this problem, offer it. Why give it a card?

All you have to do is advertize that you can offer a special training experience for those who feel they need it for this reason. It would work like a scuba review class.

There are many reasons why it is good for my No Fear Diving course, to be recognized through PADI ...
It took me 2 years .. to develop this Course &
it was not easy to get the recognition by PADI...

It last more then 7 Month to reach this goal…
Why I made it…. as PADI specialty course….

1) It´s a PADI product … so it´s trust full for client´s to do this course with PADi & me…

2) PADI is a brand that stands for high standards & safety… This is also what No Fear Diving stands for….

3) The client´s will receive a nice & lovely PADI No Fear Diving card…. after being certified… :)

Last edited:
AAHHH....I meant to say.......that is what I was.......WTF?!?!

I'm guessing we're seeing some translation issues here, as it's my impression that OP, while multi-lingual, does not speak English.

In any event, I don't see any harm being done here. There can't be a huge number of hydrophobic divers out there, because truly phobic people most often avoid that which they fear unless they are forced to confront it, and there's no practical reason to have to dive. There will be a few who choose to for the personal challenge, and if OP can connect with and help a few of those, then it's good for everyone involved. People whose instructors are good at managing fears won't need him, and people whose instructors aren't so good at that will have a clearly defined way to address their needs (if they're in Germany or willing to go there).

If he got PADI to approve it, good for him, and everyone can decide for themselves how that reflects on PADI. This should be easy enough to verify through PADI, shouldn't it?

This should be easy enough to verify through PADI, shouldn't it?

Actually this not an easy thing to validate. I searched the PADI site and came up with no list of distinctive specialties. Maybe it is only available to pro's? That would be pretty stupid but heh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom