The "S" Word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NWGratefulDiver:
...And typically the few who are most eager to apply demeaning labels to others are, themselves, moderately experienced and modestly skilled divers who have recently completed a Fundamentals class and feel the need to proselytize.
I agree, but that is the case in almost everything that has multiple ways of doing something. A decade or so back, when object oriented programming (OOP) was hitting its stride, people became righteous about that. If you weren't doing it that way, you were wasting your company's money, blah, blah, blah. There will always tbe varying ideas and people who stand on high and proclaim to be the best and most knowledgable stating that those that don't do it their way are idiots. There is certainly no shortage here. Unfortunately, some of the people that started this trend in DIR are farther up the chain and that has soured some people. Now, any time just one person does it, everyone blames the entire group. Oh well, it changes not my decision to move forward with DIR.

Chris

I'm actually more worried about the KoolAid references. There are family members of those folks around, as a matter of fact, I happen to have met a DIR diver with a deceased family member from Jonestown ...

Mark

mweitz:
I'm actually more worried about the KoolAid references. There are family members of those folks around, as a matter of fact, I happen to have met a DIR diver with a deceased family member from Jones Town ...

Mark
I would argue that using the "S" word in a serious fashion would carry with it a sense of malice. On the other hand, using it in a humorous fashion as mentioned elsewhere in this thread is acceptable in my book.

By the same token, I think using the Kool-Aid references in a "tongue in cheek" fashion are also acceptable. There are many dark events in history that have colored our comedy over the years. The key is that no one has the intent to make a malicious statement to hurt anyone. On the other hand, a Kool-Aid reference made with the intent to be hurtful is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

It's all about context for me.

Christian

In Defense of “Elitism”

It appears to be politically correct to condemn “elitism”, and to denigrate those who pursue a more well-honed proficiency, a more well-developed capability, or a more well-thought-out set of procedures as “elitists”.

In many endeavors, sports, medicine, and manufacturing to note three examples at random, “improvement” or higher achievement has occurred over time because leaders in these fields were discontented with the status quo. These leaders believed that better results were possible, and examined their environments to determine how to most logically achieve them. Through time and effort they often achieved significantly more than many of their contemporaries.

Their contemporaries, noting the resulting superior achievements or advantages, were often quick to adopt or emulate whatever developments they identified as being the cause of this demonstrated superiority.

(This is not always a constructive process – how many high school athletes do you suppose currently take performance enhancing drugs or hormones because they have noted the superior performance of professional athletes who do so?)

Still, it remains true that in many areas “advancing the field” or the evolutionary adoption of practices that improve performance occurs because leaders seek to optimize their capabilities in their respective fields.

In short, improvements occur over time because of elites.

This certainly does not mean that elites have license to be unpleasant. But it suggests that prudent contemporaries would do well to not disregard the message because they dislike or disapprove of the messenger.

DIR practices have, in this field, demonstrated superiority during operations in a wide range of extremely dangerous tasks – notably the WKPP explorations – as demonstrated by criteria such as ratios of total number of hours underwater (at depths in excess of 200’) to fatalities suffered for all participants. While developed in and for overhead environments, elements of the paradigm may be applied more broadly to other diving.

One of the cornerstones of that paradigm is that whenever one’s dive buddy may play a pivotal role in determining whether one lives or dies in the wake of an unforeseen problem, select that dive buddy only after careful deliberation. A casual consent to dive with an unskilled, untrained, or unaware buddy – in an unforgiving environment – may prove fatal.

So Rule #1 is know what constitutes a safe dive buddy, and don’t dive with unsafe divers.

That may be an elitist attitude. But adopting such an attitude will enhance the performance of your dive team, if each member of your team has actively pursued self-improvement and optimal performance. Moreover, in the gravest extreme, it will provide the best chance of the entire team’s survivability. Improvement occurs over time because of elitism.

There is never a justification for deliberate rudeness. Superiority laden with condescension appeals to no one. But don’t be so quick to condemn elitist behavior. Condemn rudeness as you will, but don’t ignore the message. Think of the dive fatalities that have been reported on this board alone over the past six months. A more broadly considered analysis of elitist thinking might keep more divers alive longer.

FWIW. YMMV.

ericfine50:
Well Said Doc
Well...maybe...maybe not, but the thoughts behind the post points directly to the conflict between DIR's and others. Some believe that DIR is part of an evolution that is improving diving as a whole, others just see it as just another system.

Doc Intrepid:
So Rule #1 is know what constitutes a safe dive buddy, and don’t dive with unsafe divers.

That may be an elitist attitude. But adopting such an attitude will enhance the performance of your dive team, if each member of your team has actively pursued self-improvement and optimal performance. Moreover, in the gravest extreme, it will provide the best chance of the entire team’s survivability. Improvement occurs over time because of elitism.

There is never a justification for deliberate rudeness. Superiority laden with condescension appeals to no one. But don’t be so quick to condemn elitist behavior. Condemn rudeness as you will, but don’t ignore the message. Think of the dive fatalities that have been reported on this board alone over the past six months. A more broadly considered analysis of elitist thinking might keep more divers alive longer.

FWIW. YMMV.

I think this quite succinctly sums up my feelings on the matter.

If it wasn't already forged in my mind previously, it surely was this past weekend at Dutch Springs, PA. Nothing like doing "Basic 5" or "OOA" drills while attempting to maintain neutral buoyancy and correct trim, then looking down and seeing some "conventionally trained divers" (for lack of a better term) doing the same thing kneeling down on the platforms in 27ffw.

Derek S:
I think this quite succinctly sums up my feelings on the matter.

If it wasn't already forged in my mind previously, it surely was this past weekend at Dutch Springs, PA. Nothing like doing "Basic 5" or "OOA" drills while attempting to maintain neutral buoyancy and correct trim, then looking down and seeing some "conventionally trained divers" (for lack of a better term) doing the same thing kneeling down on the platforms in 27ffw.
But here's the rub. None of the things you mention are exclusive to DIR.

Doc Intrepid:
FWIW. YMMV.

Provocative thoughts, Doc.

For my part I think there is a big difference between being and knowing that you are the elite and as such saying "Don't try this at home" and being and knowing that you are the elite and as such saying "anyone who can't do what I can is an idiot".

Unfortunately for all of us, the current diving elite can't seem to distinguish between these two messages. It's pathetic and the resulting loss of respect on all sides means that we all lose. They probably didn't ask to become our roll models but they should be more aware of their roll as such and not run around like children singing naah nuh naah nee naah naah....I can forgive a certain amount of ego-tripping but the way it is goes over every decent persons' boundary of appropriate behaviour.

Nothing elite about that...

R..

JeffG:
But here's the rub. None of the things you mention are exclusive to DIR.

Fair enough. If the major agencies started stressing teaching proper weighting/buoyancy/trim/finning techniques from the start, there might not be a need for GUE DIR/"other" DIR/HOG systems. These weekend certs or 4 classes and CO dives and done are doing nothing but putting unskilled, unprepared and unaware divers out there. I know, because I was one of them.

But wait...then they couldn't sell the extra classes associated with said certifications. Notice I said "sell" and not "pay but have to earn"....

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom