The "S" Word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
not exlusive blah blah blah
why did my PADI/NAUI trained instructor for my OW ask me "not to bring a bp/w to class" and also "don't wear that jumprope please"

Diver0001:
Provocative thoughts, Doc.

For my part I think there is a big difference between being and knowing that you are the elite and as such saying "Don't try this at home" and being and knowing that you are the elite and as such saying "anyone who can't do what I can is an idiot".

Unfortunately for all of us, the current diving elite can't seem to distinguish between these two messages. It's pathetic and the resulting loss of respect on all sides means that we all lose. They probably didn't ask to become our roll models but they should be more aware of their roll as such and not run around like children singing naah nuh naah nee naah naah....I can forgive a certain amount of ego-tripping but the way it is goes over every decent persons' boundary of appropriate behaviour.

Nothing elite about that...

R..

Yeah, but how many of those people who believe the true "diving elite" are jerks have actually talked to them? I've yet to meet/talk to a GUE instructor or a true GUE trained diver (not internet wannabe) who has been nothing but cordial. Any doubts, just contact one of them.

I've even heard GI3 to be very warm in person when dealing with people as opposed to his percieved personna.

I'm just going to let my (good) attitude and my (improving) dive skills do the talking for me. I suggest others try the same.

Derek S:
Fair enough. If the major agencies started stressing teaching proper weighting/buoyancy/trim/finning techniques from the start, there might not be a need for GUE DIR/"other" DIR/HOG systems. These weekend certs or 4 classes and CO dives and done are doing nothing but putting unskilled, unprepared and unaware divers out there. I know, because I was one of them.
and I agree here as well.

But look at the issue from the point of view of someone that has gone through the same system and has gone out and learned the skills of proper weighting/buoyancy/trim/finning without having to use/be DIR (remember none of these are exclusive to DIR). If they have to listen to people that make those skills equated with DIR's, well...lets just say its insulting.

DIR is just a system and even as a system it is not some earth shattering new way of doing things. (The only thing that comes close to being "earth shattering", is what the WKPP brought to decompression).

It really just a neat and tight system.

I think it is the best one, but its not the only one.
I think for the new aspirning tech diver, it is by far the best way to go.

But in the end, its just a system.

lord1234:
why did my PADI/NAUI trained instructor for my OW ask me "not to bring a bp/w to class" and also "don't wear that jumprope please"
Your point is.....what?

If someone is warm in person then I can't understand why they can't convey that in words too. Are people responsible for the things they write or aren't they?

It's too easy to make excuses for them......"oh it's just an internet personna".

What a crock.

R..

JeffG:
Your point is.....what?
Though obviously true, the point isn't that nobody wants to be insulted, even if there is a possibility they deserve it. The point is that intentionally demeaning another makes conversation impossible, inhibits learning and leads to polarization and strife - and I trust nobody thinks those are laudable goals. Remember that kindergarten adage: Play nice? There was (and remains) good cause for enforcing that coda.

The argument about the relative merits of the DIR system aside, the question that started this thread (to paraphrase) is whether or not 'stroke' should be considered a capitalized insult and banished from use. Those who argue that it's okay to be intentionally insulting because: (a) people shouldn't be so thin-skinned, or; (b) their superior skills entitle them to torment others, are potty-mouthed doo-doo heads. Nyah, nyah to them all. Apparently their Mothers were too busy entertaining their "Uncles" to teach them manners. :wink:

This thread has past the fullness of it's value, so please accept a humble bit of dive-ku in closing:

The quest to Belong
leads wrasses to the shark's mouth -
Flies drown in Kool-Aid.​

reefraff:
Though obviously true, the point isn't that nobody wants to be insulted, even if there is a possibility they deserve it. The point is that intentionally demeaning another makes conversation impossible, inhibits learning and leads to polarization and strife - and I trust nobody thinks those are laudable goals. Remember that kindergarten adage: Play nice? There was (and remains) good cause for enforcing that coda.
You got that from his post? Okey dokey then.

reefraff:

Flies drown in Kool-Aid.​
So after the first half of your post you talk about not demeaning others, then you post this. Interesting.

Actually, I liked this. I thought it was truly humanitarian. :D

reefraff:
Apparently their Mothers were too busy entertaining their "Uncles" to teach them manners. :wink:

Last thoughts on this and then I have to go...

1 - If you don't like GI3's personna, ignore it
2 - If you don't like particular DIR divers, ignore them
3 - Oddly enough, I was chastised at a PADI LDS for purchasing a Halcyon wing. I was told that I'd be putting myself in danger if I used it because it wasn't dual bladdered and bungied. Who's kidding whom here?

Again, I'm going to let my good attitude and improving diving skills do the talking for me, not an internet messageboard.

I'm just sick of the banter. If you are pro DIR, this is your forum. If not, there are plenty of other great forums (HOG comes to mind) that will cater more to your desires.

On a side note, this isn't pointed at anyone in particular, just some general musings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom