The SCUBA Police and the Vintage Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I was worried that I would not "fit in" here at ScubaBoard. I found this post while searching for info for my old Calypso regulators. I'm just looking for diagrams mainly so I can see if it's possible to get them to breathe a little easier. BTW if anyone's interested one of them is a Calypso J with the J-Valve built into the first stage with the HP port on the side. Unfortunately there are no markings left on the purge buttons (I put a portrait of Mickey Mouse on one of them) and only one second state has a serial number which I wrote down and can't find right now. The other one (that came with the J-Valve) has no serial number that I can find. The second stages appear to be identical except the Calypso J has a smaller purge valve. Also, if anyone happens to know of any diaphrams or LP valve seats available that might be helpful. As far as I can tell they still have the originals in them. And I still use them. I've had both regulators for a long time but did buy them used back in the 70s.

BTW I realize that James Bond always had all the latest gadgets. Maybe I should change my nick.

James Bond drove around in a 1930s blower Bentley. His golf clubs were pre-WWII. It is only in the movies that he has these weird gadgets.

You know about the little UW breathing device in the movie "Thunderball"? Someone at the Royal Navy saw the movie, liked the device, and called the producer to determine where to procure them. At least that's the story I heard.

1933, gray in color.

this one is Black and BRG (sort of):

Bentley_4%2C5_Litre_SC_Tourer_1930.jpg

And I was worried that I would not "fit in" here at ScubaBoard. I found this post while searching for info for my old Calypso regulators. I'm just looking for diagrams mainly so I can see if it's possible to get them to breathe a little easier. BTW if anyone's interested one of them is a Calypso J with the J-Valve built into the first stage with the HP port on the side. Unfortunately there are no markings left on the purge buttons (I put a portrait of Mickey Mouse on one of them) and only one second state has a serial number which I wrote down and can't find right now. The other one (that came with the J-Valve) has no serial number that I can find. The second stages appear to be identical except the Calypso J has a smaller purge valve. Also, if anyone happens to know of any diaphrams or LP valve seats available that might be helpful. As far as I can tell they still have the originals in them. And I still use them. I've had both regulators for a long time but did buy them used back in the 70s.

BTW I realize that James Bond always had all the latest gadgets. Maybe I should change my nick.

The diaphrams are the same ones as in the Conshelf and a bunch of other past and current USD/AL regs, no problem at all to find. The exhaust valves are pretty much standard too, most any good repair shop should have them...getting a shop to admitt it may be a different issue....."I don't have that manual/part number so it does not exist" BS. The LP seats are the generic rubber ones, again 90% of all regs in the last 40 years have used that same one and most bottom end regs still do so finding one is not a problem or you can make your own with a strip of rubber and a punch.

OK thanks. I suspected as much. I'm also looking for "diagrams" so I can be sure that I'm disassembling correctly and from there adjust the lever and valve seat tension. It looks like I need to hold the lever screw with a blade screwdriver while turning the locknut but there doesn't appear to be a screw slot on the end where the hose attaches to adjust the spring tension. I'm also glad to know that the "diaphrams" are basically generic. I'm sure most dive shops would rather sell me a new regulator than a few parts but there's always eBay etc once I determine which are interchangeable. I also have a couple of Sherwoods and Dacors so I'll see if they are the same. I have several service manuals and I'll bet the part numbers are the same for many diaphrams. As for the valve seats any particular kind of rubber? This is a bit more advanced than making a snorkel holder or mask strap from an inner tube so I want to be sure :wink:

Somewhere aswap listed the McMaster Carr part number for the punch and rubber. As I remember it, it was EDPM. It's actually easier than making mask straps or snorkle holders. Lay down rubber, whack punch with hammer and use...not rocket science. :)

James Bond drove around in a 1930s blower Bentley. His golf clubs were pre-WWII. It is only in the movies that he has these weird gadgets.

You know about the little UW breathing device in the movie "Thunderball"? Someone at the Royal Navy saw the movie, liked the device, and called the producer to determine where to procure them. At least that's the story I heard.

I feel better now. That's pretty funny about the breathing device--it looked like two CO2 cartridges stuck into a mouthpiece.

Somewhere aswap listed the McMaster Carr part number for the punch and rubber. As I remember it, it was EDPM. It's actually easier than making mask straps or snorkle holders. Lay down rubber, whack punch with hammer and use...not rocket science. :)

I guess I tend to overcomplicate things sometimes. I figuered inner tube rubber would be too soft. What kind of glue is best to hold it in place? Wet suit glue might be the most readily available :wink:

I guess I tend to overcomplicate things sometimes. I figuered inner tube rubber would be too soft. What kind of glue is best to hold it in place? Wet suit glue might be the most readily available :wink:

Or you can buy the seats premade over here (the LP seat are the same):
DA/Royal LP Seat [Low Pressure seat only] - $3.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

You may also find other vintage single hose parts on that web site.

There is no need for any glue. The seat is held in the seat carrier and is not going anywhere.

You can get repair manuals, catalogs, and a lot more downloads under the link below.
Just follow the links to the manuals you want. There are repair manuals for US Divers regulators and a few others.
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Catalogs/Manuals/Articles/Reports etc

VintageDoubleHose.com also has a section specifically for vintage single hose that may be helpful.
Vintage Double Hose • View forum - Vintage Single Hose Regulators. Pre 1975 only

Better yet, you can go here and buy yourself a double hose regulator (rebuilt and ready to go) similar to what Emilio Largo was diving. :cool2:
Double Hose Explorer Kit [Double Hose Explorer Kit] - $250.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving
:D

Have fun.

Wow, that's a lot of great links! :D

I've never used a double-hose but always wanted to try one--I've heard they are better for photography and suspect they are a lot better for videophotography. But I never knew which ones are the better ones. I'll go take a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom