The "Thanks" button is gone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I was saying that people who did not want the Thanks button may not feel comfortable posting about it here. I did not imply any reasons behind this.

OK. Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDoc
The staff has reviewed the feature and has decided to remove it. We felt that it has contributed to an unhealthy polarization of the community and was susceptible to abuse by a few.

That's just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInMyBones
I will miss the "Thanks" Button. I felt like I was actually helpful when I was thanked. I want to be able to agree with someone without having to post "+1."

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B
I'll miss it ... feel good in that I actually contributed something that others thanked my post , and can see (sometimes by an overwhelming number) who's posts are well thought of by many

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoreira
The thanks button was one of the nice things that hooked me to this site. Now it's gone.
I can quote a comment and explicitelly say thank you, but it was a nice and useful way to appreciate a comment or thread.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimbo
I am not sure I understand how the Thanks button can be abused in any way that is important

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafejoe
Another Stupid move by the Honchos that run SB

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdaddy
But that seems like a lot of effort when you could just push a button that said it all - "thanks" and/or "I agree" and/or "I really appreciated your advice" or "thanks for posting that"

Bring it back.

Bring back the "THANKS BUTTON"

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookie
I liked the Thanks button mainly because there was a good feeling in knowing that somebody found something you said useful and I liked to be able to let people know when I found their posts particularly useful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech
Do you think 54,000 thanks in the same thread for saying something like, "duh" is too much "Thanks"?

I never saw anything like that, must have been in chat threads where they didn't really count anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceMalin
I thought the "Thanks" button was one of the unique features of ScubaBoard. I found it to be an interesting way of keeping me honest, so to speak, because my private SB goal was to see how many "Thanks" I could receive by taking the time to do my best to compose a post in such a way that it would be educational or valuable.

Thanks! It was a motivator to keep on track.

Quote:
It was also pretty cool when someone I'd normally be battling over a topic would give a "Thanks" ... at times, that was like breaking bread or some other gesture that united rather than polarized.

I also liked being able to give out those thanks to folks.

Quote:
I think the only thing the "Thanks" button really divided was what made SB a little bit more fun than other boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
ScubaBoard is genuinely diminished - from both a usability and a community standpoint - with the removal of the thanks button.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B
It was also useful to view a posters thanked posts or threads .. you could find some insightful info there ..

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfish
well, I guess I never saw any of this stuff where the Thanks button was supposedly abused and so I cant even imagine how a Thanks button could be abused. Seemed like a positive feature and it was useful. For such a thing to be removed because a few people abused it instead of taking care of whatever users specifically seems like an incredibly lame decision to me.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaducer
How can a Thanks Button be abused in any real way? Seriously? If people have a hang up over it, well that is a personal problem they need to get over by themselves. by placating these simpletons you are only enabling their issues and making it harder for them to advance as human beings...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjim
As I read threw this and think about the whole issue I think losing the Thanks button is really a loss. I have found it a nice way to easily let someone know their comments or suggestions were appreciated, without needing to post a reply. It was also somewhat satisfying to see a thanks on one of my own posts, because it meant someone had read it and found it of value.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingPrincessE
I agree with the posters who find the Thanks feature useful, and I agree with those who don't think it's fair to "punish" the many for the actions of few.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrybosome
Was there a thread about this somewhere? If so I missed it. It doesn't seem that the input and comments of the majority of users were actually invaluable since I never saw them solicited.

How much harm did the thanking club sort of 'abuse' cause exactly? I'd really love to read the backroom discussion on this...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBC
I don't know how a thanks button could be abused Trace. If someone made a good point from my perspective, I thanked them. It showed appreciation and support.

It seems that some people didn't like the acknowledgment that certain individuals received. This is especially true when it disagreed with the opinion of management. Imo, this site seems to be becoming more and more this way. Perhaps management will come up with a thanks button that will only work if it conforms with the 'correct opinion.'

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrybosome
The more I think about this the more annoyed I get. The thanks feature supplied something that was like the eye contact that's missing from internet conversations. I really think the user feel will be diminished without it. It was an excellent way to let someone know you heard them without adding fluff to a thread.

I hate to make a fuss about something that seems so trivial, but this seems like a mistaken decision to me. I would really appreciate a fuller explanation of it's necessity.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget
Hmm, I am sorry to see it go and I must say I never really felt it was abused.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget
Wont it make threads very long now, with quotes and "Thanks" - just wondering.?

You might just be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver
I felt it was a positive improvement in that it gave people a chance to "reach out" to those whose postings they found had value.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSC
But how can anyone, be it the board, Pete, the members, or whomever keep it from happening all over again?

Who cares? What possible difference could it make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingPrincessE
It also goes back to the posts that several people have made of...so what if someone abuses the thanks button?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSC
I liked the "Thanks" button and I could <sic> care less if some people wanted to Thank others a million times.

Thanks! (I think you meant "couldn't.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdrdiver
Can someone explain how a thanks button can be abused. Im really having a hard time wrapping my head around how an ambiguous nicety is abusable.

Of course not because it is not possible.

Walter, Thank you. :kiss2: No way I can figure out how to quote everyone.

Pete,

I've only been here five months or so, and I've never hit "Report" on your posts, though I've read many of them in disbelief. I didn't want to get in the fray of things this early in my visits. But Pete, you are way off base on how you treat people. I followed the "Censorship" thread and before that the "Afraid to Post" thread, and if that is the way you conduct relationships all the time, I'm not sure how to respond to you.

Really???

You don't see how irrational you have been at times? I am so glad you are in the Keys. You need a vacay.

I'm just at a loss. Bring back the dang "Thanks" button. See above.

Cheryl

I'm sad to see the thanks button gone; it was particularly useful to me when I was first exploring scubaboard to see whose opinions were respected and that a majority tended to listen to. A general consensus, if you will.. this is in part how Lynn and Bob (NWGratefuldiver) garnered my attention - not only from their well-thought out and educated posts, but also from the community support behind said posts.

The staff has reviewed the
post_thanks1.gif
feature and has decided to remove it. We felt that it has contributed to an unhealthy polarization of the community and was susceptible to abuse by a few.

As always, your input and comments were invaluable in reaching this decision. Now it's back to your regularly scheduled thankless program!

Netdoc,

I've got no real interest in tallying up how many thanks given to or received from individuals, but if I read a thread and find it interesting or useful, clicking the "thanks" button to let the poster know his/her thread was useful I thought was a good thing to have, as it seems a lot did.

Without the 'thanks' button are you not going to generate responses from people who actually had nothing useful to respond with but thought they better say something ~ and thus fill up the forum and threads with more and more useless info like indivdual posts just to say 'thanks'?

Along with apparent 'thanks button abuse' you mentioned ~ by chance you wouldn't be trying to get more 'responses' instead of 'thanks' to posts, I guess increasing website bandwidth ?

Bring back the "thanks button" - when I see it again I'll make another donation to your legal case fund

OK, we may have found a way to re-integrate a newer version of the hack... it might mean a few changes here and there and it will probably reset everyone's thanks back to zero. Hang with us, as we try to integrate it.

We will be configuring thanks for these forums and their sub-forums:

• Introductions and Greets
  • Scuba Diving Central
  • Underwater Activities and Specialties
  • ScubaBoard Pro
  • Manufacturers Forums
  • The Equipment of Scuba Diving

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Attention all concerned users

NetDoc has asked me to reinstall the thanks hack for a limited number of forums. This is not an official vBulletin product and to configure it in specific forums only will take some time to implement.

Your patience is appreciated while this is being done.

:thumb: ................. :clapping:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom