Thinking about getting advanced/nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:)
but by disagreeing you pretty much just agreed....

I do agree that waiting for Deep6 is a good move... I'm waiting on some fins....

Tim

I was just disagreeing on your last sentence.

oh, and to Rivers comment. Apeks are among the easiest regs to HAVE serviced, in the US they are almost impossible to service yourself because of lack of ability to get parts. As such, any reg by Aqualung or Scubapro *except their VERY old ones*, are not considered in my book. You can purchase aftermarket kits for Apeks regs, which I'm actually perfectly OK with, but they are wicked expensive at $35/first stage and $20/second stage, which is a lot more than I prefer to spend on my parts kits but is inline with Hog and Dive Rite. They are also only available from a handful of retailers, vs Hog or Dive Rite where any dealer can get you hooked up.

Is the extra $500 worth going for? Or should i spend about $1700 and get an Apeks Black Ice BCD, Apeks full reg setup, and an aggressive oceanic computer? I am only 17 and working, so a little bit of a budget, but i can come up with $1700 if i needed to... Wondering what the move is...

Bottom line - research and buy your equipment. Research instructors and buy your class. Research and buy your computer.

Package deals are only good on consumables. You rarely get the best of everything. Save up for each and enjoy the anticipation while you shop.

And Oh-by-the-Way, you can find some really fine computers for sale on this board, as the owners go jonesing for the cute little new offering. :D

A lot of good info from your guys... Too many different opinions but I just need a simple answer. All I need is a reg setup, computer, and bcd that will be suitable for maximum 110 foot dives spear fishing. I don't need double tanks or anything special, just simple but quality and will be a solid investment. Don't worry about the cost of the advanced and nitrox class

then go with the options that I gave above. The only reason to purchase the doubles reg now is because IF the first stage fails, you only have to swap the hoses over to your spare, as opposed to having to have it rebuilt and risking missing the rest of the dive trip or having to go to rentals. It's an extra $100 in initial purchase cost, but if it saves you one day of diving while you're on vacation, it just paid for itself...

For that, I'd go Deep Sea Supply backplate, with whatever size steel plate fits you best, and either the LCD30 or Torus 26 wing. I'd still get the doubles reg package from Cave Adventurers with the Dive Rite XT, because it is the best bang for your buck new, and I'd still get the Hollis DG03 because if you're doing 110ft dives spearfishing, you may very well get into light decompression diving to extend your bottom time. Either way, that is all much better equipment for what you are planning on doing, than what was offered to you by the LDS.

You do want AOW and nitrox but the gear packages are no good, too many compromises. If you want a package, get it from DGX or some other reputable dealer.

If you end up with a weight integrated BC, make sure the weight pouches are held in securely with clips and not with Velcro. I've been diving ScubaPro WI BC's for many years with pinch clips and have never lost a weight pouch but I've found more than one pouch on the bottom with Velcro.

Also, look for a used BC and save a lot of money.

You do want AOW and nitrox but the gear packages are no good, too many compromises. If you want a package, get it from DGX or some other reputable dealer.

What kind of full package would you reccomend, bcd, reg setup, and computer. Don't feel the need for any extras

A lot of good info from your guys... Too many different opinions but I just need a simple answer. All I need is a reg setup, computer, and bcd that will be suitable for maximum 110 foot dives spear fishing. I don't need double tanks or anything special, just simple but quality and will be a solid investment. Don't worry about the cost of the advanced and nitrox class

At this point in your dive career.... there are no simple answers. You haven't gotten to experience the different types of gear... if you are going to buy new... buy cheap...
Divers Supply has some GREAT & CHEAP packages...

Have you dove a back inflate bcd? if the answer is no... then how do you know you don't want one? which is my point in NOT buying expensive gear first.

Have you dove a back inflate bcd? if the answer is no... then how do you know you don't want one? which is my point in NOT buying expensive gear first.

I though some of the BCD's he listed were back inflates? Maybe not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom