this could start an all out war!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without meaning to derail the thread (but doing it anyway), it happens in singles with the hose routed directly down from the 5th port as well as in doubles, similarly routed straight down. In both cases it's tucked beneath the light canister. It doesn't happen with a regular rubber hose. Also, I second the the thing about the snaps not staying put. I have to push mine back toward the 2nd stage periodically. If I were less lazy, I'd switch back to a rubber hose.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

R..

OK my question is, why isn't miflex hoses considered DIR?? (this is just my opinion)

Unless your first name is George or Jarrod, your opinion on what is or isn't considered DIR, counts for diddly squat.

I've tried [w/single and doubles] all Miflex, all standard and combinations of both in LP/HP...W/doubles [cave diving primarily] the only Miflex hose I now use is on my secondary
second stage reg....The 7' Miflex I started w/on my primary second stage tended to float and 'cause it's smoother kept slipping out from under my harness belt [I even tried using an 8' Miflex but it did the same thing] I now use an 8' standard LP hose [I'm 6' 4" and needed the xtra length] works great.......The reason I switched to standard hoses for the inflator is I keep one of my knives on it and the sheath adapter fits tighter and stays in place....The primary reason I switched to a standard HP hose for my analog backup gauges was the same as most people have mentioned, reliability and I keep my second knife on it w/a sheath adapter.......When I dive nondeco in OW I use all Miflex....My personal preference in hoses, Miflex/Standard, HP or LP is Apeks...... I like their quality and have the assurance it's not a 'Black' or 'after market' copy......There are no hard/fast rules, what's safe and works best for the indivdual diver......​

I think it's interesting that the only two bonafide DIR divers to have responded on this thread both answered with extreme cynicism and declined to actually address the question being asked.....

That speaks volumes about the value of the DIR forum on this board. I'll go out on a limb here... if GI3 and JJ are the only people defining DIR in this day and age then DIR is going to die a death of neglect.

R..

I think it's interesting that the only two bonafide DIR divers to have responded on this thread both answered with extreme cynicism and declined to actually address the question being asked.....

That speaks volumes about the value of the DIR forum on this board. I'll go out on a limb here... if GI3 and JJ are the only people defining DIR in this day and age then DIR is going to die a death of neglect.

R..

:confused:

What was wrong with Lynne's response in post #2?

:confused:

What was wrong with Lynne's response in post #2?

My apologies.... Lynne's response was the only balanced one....

You and Brian, however, need a kick in the ass for being arrogant boobs (I would use a stronger word but it would get filterd out).

The problem with DIR has always been the arrogance... and some things haven't changed in 15 years.

R..

My apologies.... Lynne's response was the only balanced one....

You and Brian, however, need a kick in the ass for being arrogant boobs (I would use a stronger word but it would get filterd out).

The problem with DIR has always been the arrogance... and some things haven't changed in 15 years.

R..

lol. I'm not speaking for Brian, but there's no arrogance in my response. I'm not providing a DIR answer because I don't have one. Plus, Lynne already addressed it. It's been years since I took a GUE course and while I embrace what I was taught then, I'm out of touch with changes that have come about since then. Miflex would be a great example.

I stand by my assessment. The OP said the question would start a war. That traditionally happens when people with no DIR training enter the forum and attempt to provide the "reasoning" behind it then start arguments on the nuances. If you'd like proof, look at a couple of the recent threads and note the responses given and where things start to go sideways.

I think it's interesting that as a non DIR diver, you answered with an opinion even though the OP specified he was looking for a DIR response and posted in a DIR forum. That exact tendency by users is what I was referring to with my previous statement. It leads to confusion and arguments. So lets give you a kick as well. :)

after using a 22" LP and 24" HP (phantom), I actually prefer regular rubber hose for a few reason. 1) I don't like the texture of the hose. I prefer the smoother of the regular. 2)when tight a bolt snap on then, the bolt snap still move. With rubber hose, once pressurize, nothing will move. Overall, I just dont see any advantages.

They are expensive, they fray and that feels like crap if you aren't wearing a hood.
miflex 7' hose =$60
std 7' hose =$25

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom