this could start an all out war!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are more non-DIR answers here than DIR ones, but that's gotten pretty typical for this forum. Hard to get any straight story here. And Brian, although his post has his typical abrasive feel to it, is right -- none of us here, except the few instructors who don't post much, has the credentials to tell anybody what GUE (or UTD) is saying about these hoses, and have it be absolutely valid.

All I can say is that there is nothing in the written materials forbidding Miflex hoses. I know nothing about them that would make them an invalid choice for DIR diving (where things that fail are simply not used) except for the HP hoses, which have a significant track record for failure. My guess is that, for reasons of handling, abrasion, and cost, that they are not preferred. I do not know that from any personal information.

The OP was very close to trolling when he entitled his thread the way he did. I tried to set the thread on a slightly higher plane, and provide good information (the best I have) for anyone ELSE who might read this.

I thought the DIR forum was supposed to be protected from trolls,
isn't that why you guys have your own place to discuss things?

I'm not DIR, but to me those thin little hoses just seem wrong. I just like something a little beefier just from a tactile point of view, to me they are too stringy looking and feeling. :idk:

i was just looking for opinions (trolling) but things got way outa hand WOW, i thought as a non gue diver i could just get sone answers or at least a little imput, from someone who has been through the training, but i didnt expect some of the responces i got

While there isn't any written convention - My instructors are fine with using the LP myflex hose on the backup reg to add flexibility when angling the 1st stage steeply. It served the function of achieving more head clearance & the previous rubber hose had blistered.

The thin HP hose is prone to failure and the 7'LP hose floaty - neither of these were favored.

Last edited:
The problem is that there isn't a "DIR" answer to this question. Given that I've seen traveling instructors using Miflex hoses (and titanium backgas regs) in order to keep weight down, there clearly isn't a ban on Miflex. At the same time one of the unwritten attitudes of "DIR" is (or used to be) a certain skepticism about new technologies -- a lot of new technologies are just crap, and a lot of them you don't want to be the beta testers for. Miflex is something that might be an improvement, but there's been conflicting reports about actually delivering on abrasion resistance. There's has been several reports about the HP hoses having issues. And there's the floaty-hose issue with a few second hand reports I've heard from fundies courses about students at least having issues managing the hose.

I'm personally using Miflex for my LP inflator, backup hose and drysuit inflation hoses. Avoiding it for the long hose and stage hoses due to hearing about the floaty hose issues (and since the long hose doesn't get a lot of strain it doesn't seem to solve any problem there) and avoiding the HP version. I know about the phantom HP hoses, but haven't heard enough about them to start experimenting yet. That strikes me as the proper balance between experimenting with new technology and being cautious. YMMV.

(also I'd say your name should be Jarrod, Casey or Richard these days).

I personally use myflex hoses for everything except stage bottles. So I am one of those with the superthin HP hoses have been reported as possibly problematic. I have used it for close to 2 years without a any issues and took a T1 class with them without the instructor even acknowledging the myflex hoses on my setup.

I like them because they are slightly lighter and very flexible, which is particularly nice for the reg on the necklace. The 7' hose is only problematic for me when not diving with a can light, as it tends to slide out of the harness. If I was to buy new hoses I would probably go for the phantom, as they are cheaper and seem to have the same properties.

Just coming from common sense and limited experience.

1. more abrasive i would not want it on my neck seal, albeit i replace seals myself
2. is too floaty i.e. it will get on your isolator
3. 7' hose gets too flexible for my taste
3. HP hoses too thin and i heard they leak ,never happen to me though , weird with extra protection though.

So i would use one where extra flexibility is required or armored hoses are called for (Sanctum :)
On my rig i have them all old style. I would rather have old and true vs new and cool any time.

Because like all new things, they take awhile to be acceptted by those that are "pro DIR"....not that that is a bad thing.

Somethings are never acceptted.....

I think that's a cynical view. For something to be accepted (accepted by DIR, kinda seems to mean 'recommended') it needs to be tested, trialed and approved. I guess that process is happening now. People use the kit... feedback trickles in.... potential problems are identified...

The point being that the 'recommendations' given within DIR methodology are all proven, agreed upon and integrated in a complete system.

And yes... some things are never accepted... if those things don't fit within the limitations and standards of the program concerned.

One possible concideration is air contamination. that is the chemicals built into the hoses poisoning a diver.

i just relooked through the GUE SOP's 2.0.2 and the rec 1 workbook 2009 ver 1.0 (begining with the end in mind)

no info on hose material composition

Rec 1 does contain this info on hoses

RegulatorHoses
GUEdiversusehoselengthsthathavebeenoptimizedtoreducedragandminimizeentanglementpotential.Theproperhoselengthsforaregulatorassemblyare:
•
PrimaryRegulatorLPhose152‐207cm(smallerindividualsmaychooseashorterhose)
•
Back‐upRegulatorLPhose58‐61cm(doubletankdiversmaychoosealongerhose)
•
SPGHPhose61cm
•
BCinflatorhose56cm
•
Drysuitinflatorhose76cm

I do not use them anymore (i used a 24" on my Backup regulator) and found it A) floaty B) no cost justification over a normal hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom