This guy is a total idiot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken:
Why does this board have to be so hostile?
That's a really good question ... my take is that as it's gotten bigger, it's gotten much more impersonal ... and that usually shows up on the Internet as hostility.

This thread doesn't belong in Basic Scuba Discussion ... to my concern, it doesn't belong on ScubaBoard.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fisherdvm:
Yeh, you lucky son of a whatchamaycallit, you live in Maui, while we freeze our butts off.

No wonder you've got more dives than we've hairs!!

Shutten up and invite us over for a luau! Do they serve shark fin soup at luaus??

Geologist... Son of geologists actually, and that answers many questions. As I say about the small farm town I grew up in, "all the smart ones left".

Below is a decent sized grey reef shark from Molokini last week.

P10100093.jpg

Eating shark is not a popular topic and there are definately no Luau's serving any kind of shark. There very well may be shark fin boats working the waters surrounding the Northwest Hawaiian Islands, to illegally supply the high demand in the Far East. The area has recently been declared a US National Monument, but it is a vast area and there is little to no enforcement. Below are a couple Hawaiian shark links;

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~karuna/cultural_importance.htm

http://www.moolelo.com/shark-respected.html

When I lived on Oahu, a sailor told me that hammerheads tasted like lobsters... MMMMMMMM....

So I took my rod and reel down by the shores of pearl harbor, where these little guys hang out. Caught about 3 of them and brought them home. Boy, did they stink in the truck....

Fillet them out.... Cooked them up.... They still stinked....

Then tasted them.... YUKKKKKKK.... The stinkiest yukiest meat ever !! That was the last time I tasted sharks... The sailor lied... He probably knew how much they stunk...

Off the Oahu airport, by the navy base, the kids swim in the beach not realizing that the hammerheads are swimming among them. If you stand on the cliff you can see them swimming very close to the swimmers.

I don't know about other sharks, but the little hammerheads are better left to swim than in a pan.

Maybe the sailor was talking about adult hammerheads, the ones in the shallows are just babies. Maybe he was talking about somewhere else, was he a Hawaiian fisherman? Pearl Harbor is not exactly the cleanest water, most fish caught there stink.

By the way; worms live in Maui while I live on Maui and kids do not swim in the beach they swim in the water. Even the pidgen speakin' locals type better than you.:D

halemano:
Maybe the sailor was talking about adult hammerheads, the ones in the shallows are just babies. Maybe he was talking about somewhere else, was he a Hawaiian fisherman? Pearl Harbor is not exactly the cleanest water, most fish caught there stink.

By the way; worms live in Maui while I live on Maui and kids do not swim in the beach they swim in the water. Even the pidgen speakin' locals type better than you.:D

Stinking son of geologists!! Making fun of my typing, eh! I'd kick your wormy butts if I'll ever get back out to Hawaii.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom