Time for Flu shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got mine last week, I usually don't and have beat the odds for far too long. I did have a headache a few hours afterwards.... I'm chalking it up to the shot because Dr. Google said the flu shot could cause headaches...but it could have been allergies, sinus, stress, brain eating amoebas, meningitis, pregnancy, open head wound, aggressive booger mining, PMS, or any other possible headache cause too. I'm going with the shot.....

Just hope it works.

Jay

Headed for Flu shot next week. I was just chatting with my wife about it. We always make a “date” of it.

I have also had the new shingles vaccine (Shingrix). It seemed like a no brainer. However, it did make me feel a little funky (feverish) for an hour or so both nights. But still worth it if it protects me from Shingles.

I got mine at work the first day it was offered to me. Life is tough enough without unnecessary illnesses I can avoid. Historically it's been well-tolerated me with; a little injection site soreness, that's it. Been getting flu shots annually pretty much for a good 20 years.
Ever try pushups immediately afterwards? Learned that one in Marine Corp boot camp, altho I did many times more then.

The vaccine is certainly not always a good match for the strains, but still - it will help make the illness not as severe even if it doesn't match. I forgot one year, came down with it, recovered, then relapsed on a tiny, cramped live aboard. Really ruined the trip.

Nope, not me.....never got a cold so I assume I won’t catch the flew if I haven’t so far riding the subways and flying in a capsule for the past 30 years!

Now, I did let my Dr talk me into the first of two shingles shots! Man, did I ever get sore for like four days:eek:

I usually get mine the 1st or second week of Nov. That way, hopefully I am protected by the holidays, when I am typically exposed to my siblings' families & their usually always sick kids. Don't get me wrong,... I love seeing them anytime,... but if they are sick,.... they need to stay home. I then hope that the timing is right for the shot to last most, if not all the flu season.... I don't have the time to get sick.

Nope - I'll wear the mask, thanks. It's far more effective than the flu shot; and protects against other things, as well.

Two neighbors got this year's flu shot two weeks ago. Both said the same thing: They've never had such a reaction before. Most years, no reaction at all. this year? Four days of hot red blotch at injection site and sore arm. So...be warned.
There are several different versions of the flu shot and new this year is a version for persons 65 and older that contains an adjuvant, an ingredient to boost the immune response. It’s possible that the improved immune inflammatory response may cause an increase in the associated discomfort that can occur after vaccination and may indicate a better immune response.

Prehaps they recieved this new one or they just had a stronger response to the standard vaccine then with past vaccinations.

Nope - I'll wear the mask, thanks. It's far more effective than the flu shot; and protects against other things, as well.
When I hear statements such as this my immediate reaction is very strongly negative. I am all for individual rights and personal choice but I also feel strongly in informed consent so want any individual that declines vaccination to make this choice based on facts rather then emotion.

There is something called herd immunity that occurs when a sufficient number of individuals in a population are immune to the illness. An individual that choices not to get immunized increases the risk for all, especially for individuals at the greatest risk, the old and the very young

Yes a mask can help prevent spread of infection and reduce your risk but to do so you will need to wear it consistently whenever you are in any public area during flu season and I know no one that does this. Even if you do, this is certainly a choice that requires more intervention and effort then a shot that takes just a brief amount of time and effort and at most will cause a bit of discomfort for a day or two.

I am seriously interested in why you would prefer possibly wearing a mask everyday for months?

Back
Top Bottom