Tiny Doubles...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to occasionally see UK divers taking that approach. Twin 6L tanks back-mounted. Not sure if it still happens much, because I've not dived in the UK for several years. I can see the same principle having applications in sidemount.

Not sure about UK anything dive related, but isnt's this at least part because anyone working as a diver has to have redundancy tank and reg?

what about a pair of AL63's?

Those are awful short and as doubles could be a bear to trim out. The faber 50's are great and what one local instructor uses for smaller people in his solo classes where a redundant air supply is required.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

"Tiny doubles
in the brine
Tiny doubles
make you feel fine
Tiny doubles make you wanna stay down
till you see everything and look everywhere around." LOL

Sorry!!! I just couldn't help myself.

Those are awful short and as doubles could be a bear to trim out.
Actual, AL63's are very comfortable & easy to trim.

Give them a Go!

I have not read this whole thread but all I can say, is chances are most of the naysayers have not dived a small pair of doubles. I have a buddy that has a set and I have dove them a few times and they are absolutely wonderful. They sit off to the side of the ridge on the BP and sit right on your back so they have almost no tendency to turtle you if you roll to the side to look at something. They are also great out of the water while walking because the CG is much closer to your back. I use my HOG 32# singles wing with the LP50's and it makes a nice streamlined package. The only downfall I see id cost, If I could afford it that is all I would dive.

When you get older the small doubles are even a better option. This year I left my 94cuft LP tanks at home and just used 72cuft LP's IDs in NC. The 94's doubled up are just too heavy for me these days.

I have not read this whole thread but all I can say, is chances are most of the naysayers have not dived a small pair of doubles. I have a buddy that has a set and I have dove them a few times and they are absolutely wonderful. They sit off to the side of the ridge on the BP and sit right on your back so they have almost no tendency to turtle you if you roll to the side to look at something. They are also great out of the water while walking because the CG is much closer to your back. I use my HOG 32# singles wing with the LP50's and it makes a nice streamlined package. The only downfall I see id cost, If I could afford it that is all I would dive.

You're right, I am a naysayer and I've never dove it. Still, I can visualize everything you describe and choose no thanks. Cost is an important factor to me.

I have 2 old 1966 steel LP 50's 1800psi I use as ID's. Works great for me.

Can't edit but here are some pictures:

PICT0050.jpg

That's a 19cuft to the right.

I have dove twin AL30s an twin AL40s in checking them out to see how they might work for small people, and they are much lighter than one 60 or one 80.

Although on the scale there is not such a difference, they feel so much lighter.

I have also dove the triple 30's (?) in the Cousteau packs and those are cool too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom