Tipping at Cobalt Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries, Betty, I'm so sorry we're missing each other and by just one day!

Thanks for the detailed info, GB! We actually only have one morning boat dive (their schedule, not our request) so I hope we can get someone to take us to Lighthouse for a morning shore dive!

Do you have a reason to prefer night dives at Cobalt Coast other than convenience?

Do you have a reason to prefer night dives at Cobalt Coast other than convenience?

Both Cobalt Coast and Lighthouse Point offer great night dives. The distances from dock to miniwall are about the same. The variety of fish and critters are also about the same. At Lighthouse, it's fun to sit in the holes in the hard pan while doing your safety stop, turn off your lights and wave your arms to fire up the bioluminesence. At Cobalt Coast, the light at the end of the pier attracts a number tarpon. It's great to see them at the end of the dive.

The convenience of being just steps from water to locker to room (or bar) that you have at Cobalt Coast is very nice. If you go for a night dive at Lighthouse Point, you'll probably have to arrange for trasnportation back to Cobalt Coast.

Thanks, GB! It looks like we'll have to try both locations for night dives. I'm assuming that at both locations you can take a giant stride off the dock and use a ladder coming back up? I mean, it's not a shore dive like in Bonaire with ironshore and beach, right?

Four days to go! Getting pretty excited about it now--can you tell? :)

I'm assuming that at both locations you can take a giant stride off the dock and use a ladder coming back up? I mean, it's not a shore dive like in Bonaire with ironshore and beach, right?

Four days to go! Getting pretty excited about it now--can you tell? :)

At Lighthouse Point, you can do a giant stride off the dock. If you have a camera, there is a rope and snap hook your buddy can use to lower your camera to you. And, there's a ladder for ascending.

I wouldn't recommend doing the giant stride at Cobalt Coast. The water is only about 4' deep at the peer. Use the ladder in both directions. And, if there are waves, remember the ladder is not your friend. So, move away from it to put on and remove fins.

I know what you mean about being excited. For my wife and me, it's only six weeks, two days and 22 hours until we're blowing bubbles on Cobalt Coast reef once again!

Thanks, gb! I'll remember what you said about the ladder at Cobalt Coast. Waves aside, it has to be easier than some of the shore dives in Bonaire--getting in and out can be a real &%*#@!

How many dives have you been able to do in a single day at Cobalt? One shore dive with the two boat dives? Have you ever managed a fourth?

Also, we have a late flight out (4:30) when we leave--any suggestions what we can do that morning? (Back by 1:30 for van ride) Can you get the bus to the beach, have lunch, and be back again in time? Should we do a trip to the turtle farm?

How many dives have you been able to do in a single day at Cobalt? One shore dive with the two boat dives? Have you ever managed a fourth?

Also, we have a late flight out (4:30) when we leave--any suggestions what we can do that morning? (Back by 1:30 for van ride) Can you get the bus to the beach, have lunch, and be back again in time? Should we do a trip to the turtle farm?

The most dives I have done is five. Two off the boat in the morning, two in the afternoon and one at night. Usually, it's three or four.

Yes, definitely do the Turtle Farm in the morning of your departure. Anything on SMB or George Town would be too risky, time-wise. The traffic gets very congested. Also, take a look at this thread: Best to allow for flight delays - Cayman Islands Forum - TripAdvisor

Thanks, gb, good to know. We might try for four, never five, and we'll probably be lucky to do three. :)

Are flight delays due to sequestration still a problem? Congress passed a special bill just to fund the FAA to avert delays. Or did that only have an impact on domestic flights?

Yes, definitely do the Turtle Farm in the morning of your departure. Anything on SMB or George Town would be too risky, time-wise.

Turtle Reef mini-wall has a max. depth of 60-65 feet. I would not do that dive less than 18 hours (some would say 24) prior to flying. Even on the TOP of the mini-wall you can get down to 35-40 feet. After a week of diving, I do not think you should be doing any dive at all on the morning of your departure.

Alex, I think they were referring to the Farm, not the reef. I think it's safe to see the turtle farm and then fly :wink:

---------- Post added May 5th, 2013 at 07:03 PM ----------

Turtle Reef mini-wall has a max. depth of 60-65 feet.

Question for you: last time we dove it, we went to the right instead of to the left toward tarpon alley. Our computers showed a max depth of 74'. We went quite far out, but also assumed max depth would be 65'. Could we have been near the start of the main wall? Or computers were off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom