Tipping on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
When and who and how much I tip is proprietary information, private business between tipper and tippee.
EXACTLY!

ggunn:
Well, $6-9 is between $5 and $10. ;^)
Opps, forgot to leave a smiley face :D with my response. Just picking nits but you're right ggunn.

Christi:
That's a good base rule of thumb and I don't know any DM that would turn their nose up at that...if they do...then they need to think about why they are diving.

Not to split hairs...but just an FYI...the exchange rate is not 10:1 and hasn't been in several years...it's 11:1, so $50 pesos is actually $4.50 US...in case that makes a difference to you.
As always, thanks for weighing in Christi and setting us all straight on how things really are in Cozumel.

Christi:
That's a good base rule of thumb and I don't know any DM that would turn their nose up at that...if they do...then I would consider them to have a serious attitude problem and they need to rethink why they are diving and why they are in the profession they are in.

Not to split hairs...but just an FYI...the exchange rate is not 10:1 and hasn't been in several years...it's 11:1, so $50 pesos is actually $4.50 US...in case that makes a difference to you.

We always use Pesos in Mexico and 50 is a nice round number. It seems like a needless expense to buy $USD, use them as tips in Mexico, only to have them converted to Pesos there. I'm sure the bankers love all those transactions! $50 mxn costs me about $5.60 CA.

Canard:
We always use Pesos in Mexico and 50 is a nice round number. It seems like a needless expense to buy $USD, use them as tips in Mexico, only to have them converted to Pesos there. I'm sure the bankers love all those transactions! $50 mxn costs me about $5.60 CA.

You're usually better off exchanging your money for pesos in Mexico. With USD you get approx 11:1 in Mexico, but if you buy pesos in the US then you're only getting a rate of approx 9:1. I don't know if the cambio's take CAD. You should check for next time because if they do then you'll be at a more favorable rate and it will stretch your dollar a bit. Or you could check the rate to buy USD in Canada. It's possible that what you lose on the CAD-USD exchange in Canada can be made back on the USD-MXN exchange in Mexico.

scubawife:
You're usually better off exchanging your money for pesos in Mexico. With USD you get approx 11:1 in Mexico, but if you buy pesos in the US then you're only getting a rate of approx 9:1. I don't know if the cambio's take CAD. You should check for next time because if they do then you'll be at a more favorable rate and it will stretch your dollar a bit. Or you could check the rate to buy USD in Canada. It's possible that what you lose on the CAD-USD exchange in Canada can be made back on the USD-MXN exchange in Mexico.

HSBC will exchange Canadian dollars and they always have the best rates of any other bank on the island. I have several Canadian clients and have no trouble accepting their Canadian dollars for payment.

:D Canard, i think you have a good plan. have a good time, just tip what feels right,

:D diver88

Gordon T-boy, aren't you in Coz yet? Or is it May? I started envying you a week ago!

waynel:
Gordon T-boy, aren't you in Coz yet? Or is it May? I started envying you a week ago!

Not yet. May 5-19.

I'm there now in my head, though... ;^)

driftin' by:
With that said, I've had very few instances of a $2-tip dive or less in Cozumel.

Reminds me of my only "$2-tip or less dive" in Coz - I got out of the water after the first dive steaming mad and had the boat captain drop me off at the nearest pier. No way was I going in the water with that yahoo again... that was several years and many, many coz dives ago... but what a memory!:)

kari

I just returned from cozumel. My group dove with dive palancar for 11 dives over 5 days. We had the same crew - boat driver, assistant and 2 dive leaders - every day. I tipped $100USD for the entire week at the end of the week. I agree that tipping is subjective and I had a great time and considered the service they provided excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom