Tipping on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from cozumel. My group dove with dive palancar for 11 dives over 5 days. We had the same crew - boat driver, assistant and 2 dive leaders - every day. I tipped $100USD for the entire week at the end of the week. I agree that tipping is subjective and I had a great time and considered the service they provided excellent.

:flame:
"boad driver", "assistant", "dive leaders"?!?!?! I believe it's Captain, Crew and Dive Masters... they've all earned a certain level of respect and recognition.

driftin' by:
:flame: I believe it's Captain, Crew and Dive Masters... they've all earned a certain level of respect and recognition.

Thank you Josh. You are 100% correct. I know some are aware, but many have no idea how hard these guys work and what they do in preparation and after the trips.

I think as long as they get paid (and tipped), they don't care what you call them...plumber, whatever...I doubt very much that they are calling you "valued customer" if you call the person "Captain" and get off the boat and hand him 200 pesos...

cowboyneal:
I think as long as they get paid (and tipped), they don't care what you call them...plumber, whatever...I doubt very much that they are calling you "valued customer" if you call the person "Captain" and get off the boat and hand him 200 pesos...

Haha! you have a point :)

No, you're right... they're probably not calling me anything at all. But atleast they won't be calling me an a-hole either. :D

I've always felt very comfortable at $5.00 at tank, unless something really goes wrong, or I get treated poorly. Of course if I have been exceptionally charming or funny, then I tip less, since the crew had the privelage of my company.

thebes11:
I've always felt very comfortable at $5.00 at tank, unless something really goes wrong, or I get treated poorly. Of course if I have been exceptionally charming or funny, then I tip less, since the crew had the privelage of my company.

Yes, I charge for entertainment as well - - - the best ones are when I start trouble in English (only) and then let them say all their bad things about me in Spanish and then I ask: "Usted le piensa merece una propina para eso bueno de charla?" (Do you think you deserve a tip for this good talk?) Or sometimes I just say..."me aburre tu chacharra...wajalote" (I'm bored with your chitter-chatter, vulture) and watch the faces change!

Then we all have a good laugh together...you gotta love the dive boat! It's all in great fun.

I'm good for at least $10-$15 (if there's only a captain and DM on a small boat for a 2-tank dive) and sometimes more depending on the circumstances and how much fun I have...I pay less when I get an "attitude" or the "Cozumel 2 step" which is the close site going out, then something very close coming back, which can knock an hour off the whole trip and get them in early...

my 'respect and admiration' for 'the boat crew' was personally conveyed to each of them every day we dove and underscored by the tip at the end of the week.

We 3 are going to dive Coz again 8/1/07-8/8/07. Heard bad info re the damage d/t the storms.....anyone seen this? We haven't dived Coz in a while now, opted for Bonaire & CBrac but got to missin' Coz. Let me know which dive ops you prefer. Last time we went with Michelle's and really liked them, Polo' took us to lots of cenotes' & ran abo. $50 for a two tank dive....If anyone is planning a trip at the same time, let me know. Oh, yeah, 1st time I dived other than check out was in Coz years ago, good, uneventful dive.....I would've tipped a million dollars after if I'd had it!

Alisia:
We 3 are going to dive Coz again 8/1/07-8/8/07. Heard bad info re the damage d/t the storms.....anyone seen this? We haven't dived Coz in a while now, opted for Bonaire & CBrac but got to missin' Coz. Let me know which dive ops you prefer. Last time we went with Michelle's and really liked them, Polo' took us to lots of cenotes' & ran abo. $50 for a two tank dive....If anyone is planning a trip at the same time, let me know. Oh, yeah, 1st time I dived other than check out was in Coz years ago, good, uneventful dive.....I would've tipped a million dollars after if I'd had it!

You may get more responses by starrting your own thread or reading through the threads on the first page ot two. The hurricanes were almost TWO years ago now and storm damage and recovery had been coverd non-stop for the past two years. You'll find ALOT of information in regards to all of your questions within the first page or two of the Cozumel forum.

Have fun!

BTW...Michelle's Dive Shop has been closed for almost three years now.

Back
Top Bottom