Tipping the dive instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will have my classroom and pool instruction this weekend. As it turns out, they were going to cancel the class since I was the only one who signed up. Since I couldn't go to next month's class, and thus would not get to complete my certification before going to Maui, they agreed to conduct the class one-on-one.

My question is, when the class is done, should I tip the instructor? If I were on Maui (and in tourist mode), I would likely tip a dive instructor just like I would tip a boat crew, etc.

Last year when I did an intro dive on Maui (one on one since my wife chickened out), I did tip the instructor and she appreciated it.

What is the protocol / expectation for a local confined water class? I of course don't want to offend the instructor if a tip is not proper, nor do I want to not tip if one is expected.

Any advice would be appreciated.
:eek:ut:

is always a reason to be tipped!!! I have had a few tips (although I pretty much do this for free) which are always appreciated. However, I appreciate the dinners after the dive most. Relaxed time with the student is always cool!

agree with Pete. Sounds like they are going the extra mile for you, so a tip couldn't hurt.

Ok, so, I am a little biased...

But, I would say that the guy deserves a tip... What I learned in life so far, Is that you should tip for GOOD service...

Sounds like you are getting GREAT service... go ahead and give him a little sumthin sumthin....

sounds like a tip or something like a dinner is appropriate.

Allright, sounds like a tip would be appropriate, which is fine with me. These folks are going out of their way for me and I certainly want to show my appreciation (I'll likely be buying some equipment from them too).

So how much is appropriate? The class is costing me $250, if that helps at all...

:eek:ut:

That's a great deal for a private sessions. My LDS charges $500.00. Kncking some off because its only the pool session still makes it a good deal.

Personally, I might go with a gift certificate to a restaurant in an amount sufficient for two people to have a nice meal and bottle of wine, especially if you are pleased with the quality of instruction.

opinion. I think something between 10 % & 20 % would be fair.

I like NortheastWrecks suggestion also.

It seems to me a gift card or a free meal is more appropriate. If you get along with your instructor, and enjoy his/her teaching, you may continue your education with him/her, he/she may even become a friend. A personalized contribution will say a lot more than handing out a $20 bill...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom