• $16-20

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • More than $20

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Need to explain (please post)

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liveaboards tip at the end. It's just too much hassle to tip as you go...but now that I think about it that might get you even better service towards the end of the trip.

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Thanks - this was very helpful. I tip $10, times two if my girlfriend is on board. When you tip IN advance, you get REALLY really good attention, I've noticed. Also, let the woman give the tip. Don't ask why... male DMs just seem to remember the women better than the guys I guess.

Yep, & when I give them the tip, they say "Oh, yeah, I remember you- You were the ones who....":eek:ut:

seaangel once bubbled...
My basic tipping protocal is by the $5 per dive on short trips. If on a longer trip ie: liveaboard I tip $10.00 per day. If I really feel I had exceptional treatment or there was something that went above and beyond normal dive trip care I will add extra to the base tip. I have never gone wrong with this formula.

I'm interested to see what others say but I think $10/day on a liveaboard is at least $10 less than what they deserve (in my experience). On the liveaboard I went on (Aggressor), all the tips were pooled and split by the crew at a pre-determined percentage based on "rank". That money is being split many ways. The other thing I think that's notable is these people provide "service" that nobody is getting rich at as a profession (I'm talking about the crew, not the owners) and I greatly enjoy.

I think it depends on the size and type of liveaboard that you are on as to the $per day. I have not been on the Aggressor, or any of those that come closer to a cruise than a dive boat made into a liveaboard. If I were on a liveaboard and there were more ammenities I would tip more than $10 per day. I have only been on a more rustic type of liveaboard.

Typicallly I tip at the end of all dive trips. Daily charters or liveaboards. I can't complain about the care or help I have ever had either.

seaangel once bubbled...
I think it depends on the size and type of liveaboard that you are on as to the $per day. I have not been on the Aggressor, or any of those that come closer to a cruise than a dive boat made into a liveaboard. If I were on a liveaboard and there were more ammenities I would tip more than $10 per day. I have only been on a more rustic type of liveaboard.

Out of curiousity, why would the tip go up if there were more amenities? I kind of look(ed) at tips as a way to promote/reward good service.

Or perhaps I'm defining amenities differently than you.

Thanks!

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Also, a liveaboard is a whole other story, I tip basically $10 a day for good service...

So the 10% of the cost ( which could run $200-$300) on the Aggressor is all BS to get us tip big???

Otter

Otter once bubbled...

So the 10% of the cost ( which could run $200-$300) on the Aggressor is all BS to get us tip big???

Otter

If you give them a $70 tip for a week-long trip, I think they will remember you but not for the reasons you would want them to remember you by :)

Our group of 16 left over $4000 for a week on the Truk Aggressor II. And not one of us feels we "over-tipped". It was just an outstanding trip, from every aspect, especially the ones they were in control of.

deepstops once bubbled...

Our group of 16 left over $4000 for a week on the Truk Aggressor II. And not one of us feels we "over-tipped". It was just an outstanding trip, from every aspect, especially the ones they were in control of.

$4000/16 = $250 per person/7 days = $35 per day per person, assuming it was a seven day trip....

On top of the cost of the trip...

That is, indeed, a nice tip...

I'm not sure I can afford anything quite that high, especially since I have paid for two slots, and would have to double that daily amount to be equivalent.

scubasean once bubbled...

$4000/16 = $250 per person/7 days = $35 per day per person, assuming it was a seven day trip....

On top of the cost of the trip...

That is, indeed, a nice tip...

I'm not sure I can afford anything quite that high, especially since I have paid for two slots, and would have to double that daily amount to be equivalent.

$250/5.5 days of diving == $45.45 per day
assuming 5 dives per day = $9 / dive...
or 4 dives per day = $11+ / dive

Assuming the Double rate of $2195 thats 11.4%
or Quad rate of $1995 its 12.5%

For non-diving activities, what is the crew doing in terms of 'extra service'??

Otter

I think $10 per day for a liveaboard verges on abuse. Think about it. On a liveaboard you might do 4 - 5 dives a day. If you did that on a charter boat your $10 per day tip would break down into $2 per dive - cheap, cheap, cheap. And I'm not even taking into account all of the other service the staff provides during the 24 hours a day you spend in their care.

The absolute MINIMUM I would consider tipping is 10% of the cost of the trip unless the crew is rude and negligent. For good service I give more. On a $1800 7 day liveaboard trip with good service I would probably tip 15% or $270, a far cry from the 70$ indicated by some others in this thread. The MINIMUM tip I would consider would be $180.

Liveaboard crews work like dogs. They help you in and out of the water. They fix your faulty gear. They are responsible for hauling you out of the water if you do something really stupid. They scrub all the boat's filthy places. They fill your tanks so you can do five dives a day. They fix engines. They mop up vomit. They muck out the heads. They take turns staying up all night, navigating and/or driving the boat while you sleep off the last evening's rum punch. They wake before the sun to be sure that your coffee is ready in the morning. They deserve both respect and compensation for all of their hard work.

Trust me, if you are tipping out $10 per day to the staff of a first class liveaboard they WILL remember you - as a cheap-skate. They might not be so eager to mop up your diarreah the next time you come aboard.

Honestly, if you can't afford to tip the staff you have no business being on the boat in the first place. Save your pennies and find a hobby you can afford.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom