Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If doing a land-based trip (7 days of 2 tank diving) do most divers tip daily or all at once on the last day you dive with the operation?

I tip daily, here's why:
1.) They'll remember me on day two! :D
2.) Something may come up that would mean no diving on the last day (bad weather, personal illness, break down, etc.)
3.) Crew may change before week is out.

I tipped over 20% at Olive garden this weekend. The service was good and the dinner was enjoyed. When I plan a dive trip I plan it much further in advance and it's a much bigger deal to me if it goes as planned. If a dive boat meets my expectations and helps my carefully laid and long anticipated plans come together I tip and tip well.

I disagree with the way things are in that I need to tip 20% at a restuarant so that a good waiter/staff get what they deserve for the service. The same is true for dive boats. The crew should be better paid. They are not. The fact is waitstaff are underpaid based on the expectation of tips. The same is true of dive boats. I don't show my disagreement with the way things are by withholding a tip from the people who earned it. I don't get to go on dive trips that often. I reward a smooth and memorable experience.

I tipped over 20% at Olive garden this weekend. The service was good and the dinner was enjoyed. When I plan a dive trip I plan it much further in advance and it's a much bigger deal to me if it goes as planned. If a dive boat meets my expectations and helps my carefully laid and long anticipated plans come together I tip and tip well.

I disagree with the way things are in that I need to tip 20% at a restuarant so that a good waiter/staff get what they deserve for the service. The same is true for dive boats. The crew should be better paid. They are not. The fact is waitstaff are underpaid based on the expectation of tips. The same is true of dive boats. I don't show my disagreement with the way things are by withholding a tip from the people who earned it. I don't get to go on dive trips that often. I reward a smooth and memorable experience.
Good post jbbobo. Except for the idea of dining at Olive Garden, I agree completely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom