Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDiverJim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well maybe I've seen this asked but not recently. What is the consensus on tipping on the boat dive. Amount and who? If it matters my trip will be in Aruba.

Very easy, $5 a tank--------the boat will/should split it up as needed for you.....remember, you're on vacaion, leave all the mind work back home.....

EDIT:---just noticed your handle, another eye doc, what kind??.....(we comin' out the woodwork-----)

EDIT II:--never mind, just looked @ your profile, another O.D.....maybe you can help out eyedocsteve when he gets stumped on some CTL questions(when I get on this board, I leave all my doctoring @ the office-- or @ least try to, lol)

Last edited:
i agree with the $5/tank/person

+1 to $5.00 per tank, the crew can divide it as they see fit. If you're diving for several days with the same dive op it's money well spent!

Obviously if they do a crappy job, not so much on the tip.

I thought the rule was 15-20% the trip to the crew, not including the captain?

Obviously if they do a crappy job, not so much on the tip.

I thought the rule was 15-20% the trip to the crew, not including the captain?

Hey now, you don't want them to be able to retire in a short while & leave you, the guy who needs a crew, high & dry --do you???........man give em 5 a tank & be done with it....

Last edited:
Well maybe I've seen this asked but not recently. What is the consensus on tipping on the boat dive. Amount and who? If it matters my trip will be in Aruba.
A forthcoming native will admit that most nationalities do not tip. They love to see Americans come.

For a two tank rec or one tank tec half day trip (Keys), I normally tip $10 to 15. If it is a 3/4 or all day trip such as the Oriskany or in NC, I usually tip 15 to 20.

I just got back from a cruise where I was diving every day, and I tipped at least $5 per tank, but did tip up to $10 per tank on the dive ops that had some exceptional service.

Different people need different levels of service. You'll have the just need a ride out and back guys and on the same trip have people that need you to do everything but the dive for them. Five a tank would be the need a ride guy. 20 wouldn't be out of the park for someone that needs everything done for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom