Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I average 20%

I would tip $5 per tank, per person. Most of the Divecons/Dive Guides work only for tips. However, if they are rude, idiots, or just do a crappy job, I won't tip one dime. On the other hand, for an exceptional dive, I'll tip more than that, too. I am the customer, after all.

Don't tip, can't see why? Have already paid their rate$$$.

I crew a boat in NJ so I may be biased. I believe tipping the crew is a must. Crew members work hard to make your time as a customer enjoyable and easier. We set and pull the hook, sometimes twice if you ask us move. We try and answer questions and give advise if asked. We help you don and doff your gear, we retrieve gear that you left or lost on the bottom, some of us will even filet your fish for you.
We do NOT get paid, we work for tips. I know what you may be thinking.....well you get to dive for free. Yes, that is true but a lot of the time our dives are cut short so that we can provide services for the customer. The crew is there for you, the customer.
The rare times I get to be a customer on a dive boat I always tip 20 bucks for a two tank dive, more if the crew deserves more.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems that more and more dive boat customers are not tipping.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems that more and more dive boat customers are not tipping.

Luckily here in Hawaii, it is only "some" mainland SB members who don't tip allong with "some" of the vast majority of divers who've never heard of SB who have always not tipped. Pretty much the same as it's always been.

It's like peeing in wet suits; everybody knows it happens regularly but some lie to themselves about the fact that it's a fact (peeing happens almost as often as tipping). When tipping is part of the trip, you can't afford the trip unless you can afford the tip.

Many people are cheap; many people join SB because they are cheap. I think it's very entertaining watching cheap people broadcast their cheapness over the WWW. Hopefully they do not create many new cheapskates with their propaganda, and are just making the other cheapskates feel better about their cheapness. :)

I dove the RMS Rhone along with some friends who'd been using the same outfit for years. Tipped $25 (on my mate's recommendation) for a 2-tank dive with all the hard-gear provided. Guide was brilliant as was the safety diver on board. Personable, helpful, etc etc.

Many people are cheap; many people join SB because they are cheap.
That is just hogwash. You can't know that! How many is "many" people. Maybe some join SB and happen to be cheap, but making such ludicrously unprovable statements is just doing the same thing you accuse others of, i.e., making foolish statements on the web! :shakehead:

If anything, SB has helped input the voice of reason into the mix.

I think it's very entertaining watching cheap people broadcast their cheapness over the WWW. Hopefully they do not create many new cheapskates with their propaganda, and are just making the other cheapskates feel better about their cheapness. :)
Now that is funny! :wink:

I crew a boat in NJ so I may be biased. I believe tipping the crew is a must. Crew members work hard to make your time as a customer enjoyable and easier. We set and pull the hook, sometimes twice if you ask us move. We try and answer questions and give advise if asked. We help you don and doff your gear, we retrieve gear that you left or lost on the bottom, some of us will even filet your fish for you.
We do NOT get paid, we work for tips. I know what you may be thinking.....well you get to dive for free. Yes, that is true but a lot of the time our dives are cut short so that we can provide services for the customer. The crew is there for you, the customer.

I do not dispute that most DM/Captains/Crewmembers work very hard, but what I don't get is why they're not paid in the 1st place. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this? Why are there so many people ready to do those jobs for no salary?

I do tip when I dive on a charter, but I'd rather see it included in the price and the employees paid properly (I tip because it's necessary to support the people doing those jobs, but I hate the idea of tips because it often robs people of their proper salary). I also always make sure to stop to get change before going on the boat so that I can tip.

Last edited:
The rare times I get to be a customer on a dive boat I always tip 20 bucks for a two tank dive, more if the crew deserves more.

Maybe you need to review your deal with the dive company?

I think you'll also find that fewer and fewer people carry cash. I seldom have $20 or more in cash. Most times I carry $5 or less. It's very rare that I use cash for anything other than a vending machine. I'm trying to recall the last time I paid for anything else other than bars or vending machines with cash, but I'm not thinking of anything off the top of my head.

(The rest is not directed at you, but general rant)

I do tip and I usually tip well, but I'm generally against the idea and much prefer to travel to areas that tipping is not standard practice. I've never been tipped for doing my job. I charge what I deem appropriate up front. If a dive boat shop needs more $ per dive, charge more. I'd much rather have an upfront $10 crew fee.

Most people do not know how to tip. Has to do with age I guess. Older people(older than me) think a dime is enough and a quarter way to much. Younger people haven't been taught how. When you are out at a restaurant, good service 20%, CASH, do not put it on the card; you do not know when they will get it, if ever, or if they get the full amount, it is how they make a living!
I was taught at an early age to reward those who help me, whether it is eating, golfing or diving.
If you are not sure about proper etiquette ask, or read Emily Post!
Chief

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom