Tired after scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO:

I think Boogie and Detriot Diver have it going on when they speak of the ascent rates.

I'm certainly in no better shape than a couple years ago, I don't hydrate any differently, I am a tad smarter in HOW I dive with regards to current etc.

I always felt fairly tired after even two dives, never mind 3 and 4 a day. That would REALLY bag me out.

The above stressors not withstanding, the biggest real difference that I can see is my ascent rates, I personally feel, although within "published" rates, that I was ascending too fast.

Since I've slowed it down quite a bit, I have to say that I'm not in the least bit tired after 2 or more dives a day. I will occassioanlly be told by others that I'm dog slow on ascent (I aim for 10ft/min). This only confirms my thinking :)

Steve

Good advice.

Today I did a two tank boat dive in Lake Michigan and really made an extra effort to slow down on my ascents. Guess what? I feel much better and still have alot of energy this evening.

By the way Lake Michigan was cold and low visibility.

Congrats! It's nice to hear when someone takes good advice and, lo and behold, it works!

Sure feels a lot better, doesn't it?!!

Sam308:
Good advice.

Today I did a two tank boat dive in Lake Michigan and really made an extra effort to slow down on my ascents. Guess what? I feel much better and still have alot of energy this evening.

By the way Lake Michigan was cold and low visibility.

Somebody wrote this:

Depth 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120 130 140

NAUI 80 55 45 35 25 22 15 12 8 na
PADI 80 55 40 30 25 20 16 13 10 8

80'@20 mins 1 hour SIT, 50' NDL
NAUI: 51 mins
PADI: 63 mins

50'@80 mins 1 hour SIT, 40' NDL
NAUI: 43 mins
PADI: 100 mins!

Looks like PADI is more conservative on the first dive up to 110', but NAUI gives less credit for the SIT.

Don't take my numbers for gospel, though...check 'em yourself

Now it's gone. What's with that?

Scuba_Steve:
Somebody wrote this:

Depth 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120 130 140

NAUI 80 55 45 35 25 22 15 12 8 na
PADI 80 55 40 30 25 20 16 13 10 8

80'@20 mins 1 hour SIT, 50' NDL
NAUI: 51 mins
PADI: 63 mins

50'@80 mins 1 hour SIT, 40' NDL
NAUI: 43 mins
PADI: 100 mins!

Looks like PADI is more conservative on the first dive up to 110', but NAUI gives less credit for the SIT.

Don't take my numbers for gospel, though...check 'em yourself

Now it's gone. What's with that?

Anyway, to continue on with this post, as I think it deserves some more ink.......

It goes to show just how extra conservative the NAUI tables are.

If I were doing these profiles, I would have no problem stretching the NDL on the first set (2nd dive) to 70mins......

and gas permitting (which it wouldn't with 2 "K" bottles:-]) on the second dive you could easily do 140-150min!!
I have no problems with conservatism, but the difference is so padded it doesn't make much sense. In fact, it's quite rediculous and should at least be an eye opener as to the grain of salt we should take the various tables with.

YMMV

Regards

Steve

P.S. Thanks (whoever) for the NAUI numbers. Heaven help you, I think that's why they got pulled. What a joke. Think about it.

DandyDon:
Drink lots of fluids (sport drinks are better than rev-os water)

Wanted to take a moment to add something to this - if you drink sports drinks, cut by half with water. They are meant to enhance the ingestion of essentials for your body, not replace the consumption of water.

Sam308:
No, I was not bent.

Thanks for the responses, I thought perhaps the body may have this reaction due to the stresses it incurrs with diving, pressure or nitrogen.

Fatigue is a symptom of being bent. Being bent has to do with Nitrogen molecules in your body. This could be one explaination for how you feel.

Another explaination is this could be Hypercapnia. It is possible that your hyper ventilating, even a little, and one of the symptoms of that while doing some sort of strenuous activity is to feel tired or fatigued afterwards.

Then there are the usual more obvious suspects: eating right to be properly fueled for each dive (i.e. even a snack between dives) proper hydration (rehydration), physical shape for the type of dive, dressed right for the dive, well rested, etc.??

You won't really be able to pin it down unless you write down your routine before, during, after the dive to see what really happens as you prepare to dive, are diving and recovering from the activity. :)

Found it!

My apologies. The two threads that I had been reading overlapped, and I happened to get my wires crossed.....and I thought the post I referred to was pulled as it contained a piece of a table, which I thought someone had figured was some sort of violation.

Good posts though. It all an education.

Steve

I have found that (if time permits) making a game out of slowing my ascent rate has helped me to not only slow my ascent rate and thus make me less tired at the end of the day, but it has also greatly improved my control in the water. Especially as a new (first season) dry suit diver. A great place to do this is in the last 15-20 feet after the safety stop when getting back on the boat. Really make it a ridiculously slow ascent and before you know it you are killing two birds with one stone and having fun doing it too. Just a tip for the newbies (like myself) to help with control and ascent rate etc...

detroit diver:
It certainly is not supposed to be. Burning that high of a calorie rate would mean your breathing rate would be in the stratosphere. Not good for most regulators. Not good for CO2 buildup.

I would think that the author of that study had really poor trim.... :eyebrow:
I think it is more to do with thermal losses than the amount of effort put in :eyebrow: No matter how much insualtion you have there is a big loss of heat to the water, heat = calories, someone posted a link to a website that calcualted your energy usage for various sports, mine showed an hour of moderate (ie not finning hard) scuba would burn around 600 calories

Back
Top Bottom