Tired after scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it normal to be extremly tired after scuba diving?

I keep myself in good shape with plenty of exersise and don't understand why I feel really tired after scuba diving. Especially after a two tank dive, I feel exhausted.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Joe

You are probably fine. There are so many variables and challenges-- boat diving in chop, surf entries, current, keeping track of dive groups, etc. Also, its kind of like snow skiing-- you use a lot of muscle groups differently from what you are used to, especially if you don't do it often. Generally, the more you dive, the more you get into a routine, the more efficient you become, the less tired you are---. Very experienced divers tend to move only as much as they need to, and carry as little weight as they can.

It doesn't sound abnormal....many factors combine to tire you out depending on what kind of diving you do....dive profile's etc. .....I know when I've been liveaboard diving 9pm was a late night...and when diving down south after a couple of three dives a day...a siesta is definitely in order...lifting heavy equipment...exertion underwater...and for some just gearing up can be a contributing factor to fatigue....just make sure you are well rested before diving....stay well hydrated during SI's and enjoy the good nights sleep that comes after diving....but if you are getting overly fatigued between dives you may want to get a physical....J>

and one more thing.....post dive refuelling....depending on what you are eating....high carbs for example can make people sleepy....remember to stay away from the red wine and turkey...at least that's what I learned from a classic Seinfeld episode...good health and great diving..J>

Try this on your next series of bigger dives...

Watch your ascent rates. Try making deep stops for one or two minutes at half your depth, then slowly ascend at a REALLY slow rate... continue making stops every 10 feet for one minute or so.

Let us know how you feel after.

Boogie makes some good points here. I've found that making deeper stops, and slowing my ascent rates dramatically helps me feel MUCH better after a dive.

what's the water temperature? ... and don't forget even in warm water calories are burned to maintain body heat ... which can lead to feeling tired.

Happens to me, too. I open a thread here on that several months ago.

Drink lots of fluids (sport drinks are better than rev-os water), slow ascents with deeps stops and long safety stops, go for Nitrox.

No, I was not bent.

Thanks for the responses, I thought perhaps the body may have this reaction due to the stresses it incurrs with diving, pressure or nitrogen.

Thanks,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom