To buy a regulator, or keep renting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btw: I don't eat in restaurants that do not wash their dishes either.

Well, we can hope that they do! I've worked in enough restaurants to have seen a few things in the kitchen.....
Anyway, don't you think dive ops wash their rental regulators?

I just like having my own stuff because I really like gadgets and consumer therapy works despite being another addiction. Serenity Now!

335107a5ead9c92e00f28161f84c09a6.jpg

Oh that's ok.That life support bit was probably the old PADI instructor coming out in me.But then,that goes back to 1978 and a lot of things have changed since.I sometimes forget that I live in a new world now.That's the trouble with being older then dirt.
Sorry to pick on you, it's really nothing personal at all. Most of us were fed the life support bit in OW class and some have come to see it as nothing more than a fear-as-sales-tactic routine. It's not your fault that the dive gear industry has done this.

Do you service your own regs? If not, you may be fooling yourself. There is an on-going thread in Accidents about a catastrophic failure of a recently serviced "own" reg on Bonaire.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: That was a delayed reaction to bodily fluids in those rented regulators, not the unwashed bedouin you've been so very undeservedly blaming all this time.

I do know the state of the reg as it is mine since new (Also my reg is under a year old with <25 dives on it ie never been serviced yet). I also know and trust the service centre as the service tech in the shop is quite strict with regards to checking prior to returning them as can be verified by all my dive buddies.

I am interested in servicing my own regs though but more from the knowing exactly how they work point of view than from the safety angle.

If I can find an ultra cheap set to tear down & rebuild I might have a go at it

I was happy with renting for many years until I got three regulators, each with a different bad habit, in Roatan a couple of years ago. Upon my return I bought a regulator that I've been very happy with. I don't regret my rental years, though.

rental is much more cost effective if you dive less that 15 days per year. I never met anyone with a bad rental regulator, but I never dive with crapy operators. HAving said that, I have my own equipment but I dive 50+ times per year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom