To buy a regulator, or keep renting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would be my main reason for purchasing - I know the state of my own regs but I have no idea about the rental regs. Even if only serviced last week there is nothing to say whether it was dragged along the bottom (and getting filled with sand/gravel) or dropped on the previous dive. All it takes is one schmuck being less than careful on one dive.

You hit the nail right on the head!

You're speaking my language, Lorenzoid. :)

For the record--and to stay on topic, sort of--the desert trek was just after I had been diving in Dahab, with rented regulators.

This would be my main reason for purchasing - I know the state of my own regs but I have no idea about the rental regs.

Do you service your own regs? If not, you may be fooling yourself. There is an on-going thread in Accidents about a catastrophic failure of a recently serviced "own" reg on Bonaire.

For the record--and to stay on topic, sort of--the desert trek was just after I had been diving in Dahab, with rented regulators.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: That was a delayed reaction to bodily fluids in those rented regulators, not the unwashed bedouin you've been so very undeservedly blaming all this time.

Last edited:
If you buy, you can also get one of those form fitting mouthpieces (you make it fit by doing the mold yourself). only drawback is if you're buddy breathing (who does that now?) when the buddy has to use your mouthpiece.

To the OP. You are receiving many opinions and the pro and cons of renting regulators when traveling.That alone should be enough to raise any doubts in your mind.I won't pretend that I am a global dive traveler,I certainly am not after only going three different times but I will say this because it is what I believe.If you do have doubts then by having your own personal regulator,those doubts will be erased and you will at least have a better piece of mind.Renting might be perfectly alright but then I don't really know that from experience but I do know that I have a much more enjoyable dive when using my own equipment and not having to worry.If you do rent a reg,at the very least,put a mouth piece that you like in your " Save-A-Dive" kit.
Dive safe.

I read most of the posts but the one thing that keeps popping in my head is " if you can afford to go on expensive dive locations then what is so difficult about buying a good life support system like a regulator that you can be sure of ?" There are plenty of good options of regulators out there on the market that won't break the piggy bank.Would you eat off of somebody else's spoon or drink from the same canteen?

Two things about this post jump out to me. First, the old sales pitch about life support. That one will never die, especially considering most divers are trained specifically to increase the market for the shop where they take classes. Of course its nonsense, but who cares, right? It sure sounds good.

Second, yes, I would eat off someone else's spoon and so would you. Ever eaten in a restaurant?

I'm not against buying a regulator; it's often more convenient, can be less expensive in the long run, and makes a diver feel more involved with the sport. I own a closet full of them. But the safety and hygiene arguments are really silly. If rental regulators were dangerous, nobody in their right mind would ever rent one, and no dive op could ever afford the liability. They're all mechanical devices, any of them can fail at any moment for any reason. Dive accordingly. Isn't that what they teach in OW classes? As for hygiene, I know cooties are scary and yucky, but unfortunately they're everywhere. You never know, maybe Angelina Jolie was the last person to rent that regulator! Most males (and maybe some females) wouldn't object to sharing her saliva. I hear she's available, BTW....

It certainly sounds like my post was way out of line according to a few here and since I feel like I am getting beat up for saying anything,I will just say that you are right and I am wrong and apologize for saying anything.I meant no offence.

It's funny how opinionated people get over opinions. (how dare you give advise like that! now here's my advice)
You know what they say opinions are like?

btw: I don't eat in restaurants that do not wash their dishes either.

btw: I don't eat in restaurants that do not wash their dishes either.

Ever watched Waiting?

On 2nd thought, considering interest rates in developed countries, you're probably financially no worse off buying the regs than putting the money in an interest-bearing account. At least, probably better off actually.

It certainly sounds like my post was way out of line according to a few here and since I feel like I am getting beat up for saying anything,I will just say that you are right and I am wrong and apologize for saying anything.I meant no offence.

Sorry to pick on you, it's really nothing personal at all. Most of us were fed the life support bit in OW class and some have come to see it as nothing more than a fear-as-sales-tactic routine. It's not your fault that the dive gear industry has done this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom