To buy local or not to buy local; my economic question of this year’s purchase……….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDJ1016

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
At a loss here of what to do----

I am in the market for a new regulator, and spent many hours reading postings here and websites (both manufactures and retailers) to determine what I want and why. (Self justify the money maybe???  )

I have narrowed it down to the MK17 based on excellent posted information and comments on this board. I was going to purchase an MK25 however it was more then I needed and well can invest that extra money into a great octo! I am cold water diving here in Michigan so the 99.99% final decision is the MK17 with the G250V. (Sealed and made for seriously cold water I am told.)

My problem (if you will...) - LDS is in excess of $600 plus tax. LP has it shipped to me for $400. Annual service @ LDS is about $70-75 for all three ‘stages’, and claim parts are covered. LP does the work for $49 (annuals service kit included with purchase from them) and ships it back to me for that price. (It would cost me about $10-12 to ship regulator set to them for service.)

So I have to ask, emotions aside guys and gals, as a business man here, am I missing the big picture? I truly love my three LDs, but same item for same item, ouch!

To order online vs a LDS is a topic that is sure to excite many here on SB. What it comes down to is personal preference. Everyone is going to have their view point (use the search and find any thread about Leisure Pro).

Most times when you take your reg in for service to a LDS you're going to be without it for a week usually. Sometimes you can get quicker turn around service if you request or if your a regular customer.

Shipping to LP and back will take added time and there is no face to face connection.

In the end, does your LDS give you enough product support (service, information, assistance not just limited to your regulator purchase) to justify $200 extra? Only you can answer that.

Last edited:
From the viewpoint of a scuba INTERNET seller.............

If you have a good relationship with your dealer; if they are folks you trust; if they are folks you often go to for information and the such.....I would consider $200 to be small compared to the benefits.

You will get the advantage of being able to get "while you wait" adjustments and real-time answers to questions about your gear. You will be supporting a store that very likely really needs the $600 sale. Personally, I would buy it from the local store.

If they don't do these things, well then I think your decision is already clear.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

I believe price is directly related to loyality, trust and repeatability. If you have read some of my other posts, it's painfully obvious I am very old fashioned in my thinking. That being said....I have never paid retail for any piece of dive gear I have bought. Once again I basically only do buisness with one shop who knows me on a first name basis, my regs are rebuilt/repaired in front of me while I watch. Because of this service I will travel a 4 hour round trip to the shop. And I believe it is this loyality that affords me the prices it does. I personally like the one on one service I get from people who have been in the dive buisness for many years. My relationship has gone beyond that of a customer /vendor. It's more like the relationship between a samurai and his sword maker. Remember in both, are survival is dependent on the quality of our equipment, skills, and trust. That type of relationship takes along time to develop, where on the internet I quess it's just a matter of pushing the right buttons. I personally like the one on one service, I like the fact that my money is staying local, I like the fact that if need be, I can jump in my car and take a drive and be able to hold somebody accountable within a few hours. Not make a bunch of selections on my phone or computor. If you are in it for the short run, then maybe on line is the best answer. But I cannot put into words the amount of service, advice I have gotten from my shop.

Nowwwwwwwwwww the question begs to be asked, are there two sets of prices, 1) for the return customer, and 1) for the guy who just walks in off the street. Let me answer with this in our every day lifes. When I go to my auto parts vendor, I do not pay retail price. When I go to my tire store, I do not pay retail price. When I go to the same jeweler that my father and grandfather went to, I do not pay retail price. Once again these are all buisness that I have used for many many years.

I don't mind spending a little extra at the local dive shop to keep them around. I also try and do business with all the shops in my area to help ensure that they stay in business. That being said, your LDS is charging you 50% more for the regulator, and 25% more for service. I'd give them an opportunity to get at least a little closer to the online retailer. I'd approach it something like this "I like you guys, I want to spend money at my local shop, but the difference is too great for me to ignore" etc. I would try very hard to do business locally, but if they don't budge I'd take the deal.

I have purchased from LP in the past and like what I got for my money, but I would always prefer to buy from my LDS. You may want to approach them with the LP price and ask them to 'work with you' for the sale. You may not get the LP price, but you will find out how much the shop wants your business, and give them the opportunity to purchase locally instead of online.

Its purely a price vs service debate. You are likely to get faster service from your LDS, but with a $200 premium. The choice is yours. Personally, I prefer saving the money for diving and getting the stuff serviced this time of year when the weather in Michigan is crap anyway.

As an owner of a LDS, I like it when clients come in and ask "If we could come close or match the price of an online site", at least I'm given a chance to explain the advantage of buying from a LDS. Such as, personal service customized to your needs, and face to face interaction. Although, we may not be able to match the price, we maybe able to off set the price in different ways. It helps keep us in business to offer airfills, education and equipment service. Oh, don't forget, it helps to keep someone employed also.

On large purchases, I always give the LDS the opportunity to match or get close. They always do. However, if they start squawking with any of the BS of online buying, politely let them know you are sorry they don't want your business and go with LP.

The Scubapro dealer agreement limits how much your LDS can discount that regulator. But your shop has other options to be competitive. Perhaps you can talk to your shop and see if he can close the rather large gap with discounted annual services and free air. But be aware that a few shops might feel compelled to blackball you for even bringing it up. If yours is one of those, you will be better of with another shop even if it means going with an alternative brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom