To split fin or not to split fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisher

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have atomic split fins and am wondering if I should switch to full fins? I have found that while I get great speed and little fatigue with the splits, I don't have the control I get when diving abroad with full fins. Does anyone have a similar view?

Also, can anyone recommend a full fin that is light to travel with?

Thanks.

I really wanted them when they first came out but luckily I got the chance to try several different ones before I bought them. I just did not like them, to me they feel floppy and I have a lot less control than the Quatros or Jets I have. To each his own but I don't care for them. I do always wonder why split fin users talk about the speed of them......why are you in a hurry?

By "full", do you mean full foot? If so, Mares Avanti Superchannels are very good. They are relatively light, very maneuverable and I guess fast if that's important to you.

See: Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Fin reviews and discounts, Mares

You are kind of limited to boat diving unless you're feet are really tough, however. If exclusive boat diving is not in the picture, I just bite the bullet and take boots and large (small) jets.

I read on the internet that I'd DIE if I use split fins.

Well I have the atomic splits in reef red ("the supposedly "high energy compound") and I like them, actually I sold my cressi reaction which were good for these...I don't know if the material difference between the 2 types of fin(standard or "high energy") really makes a difference...

Some people love splits, some people think they suck. I think they suck, basically for the reasons you listed; although they do offer good forward propulsion with minimal effort they, from my experience, don't allow for much control. I will tell you that when I switched to a paddle fin (Mares Quattro) I immediately became a much better diver and enjoyed diving more. I honestly was getting so frustrated with my splits I was ready to quit diving...thankfully I did some research on various forums (including this one) and discovered that there were a number of divers who hated splits for the same reasons I did. So, in short, I would definitely give a good pair of paddles a try; they may be just what you're looking for.

Here are some of the paddles that seem to be consistenly well regarded:
Mares Avanti Quattro, Mares Volo, Mares Superchannel, Scubapro Jetfin, Scubapro Seawing Nova, Hollis F1, Aqualung Slingshot. However, the only ones of the aforementioned that I would consider light are the Mares Volo and Superchannel.

I switched to split fins (Apollo Biofin) for local diving years ago. I have had few reasons to return to my old Aqualung Blades. However, if I'm traveling internationally, especially to locations with strong current, I pack my Blades... they're lighter and give me more powerful kicks (coupled with my tree trunk-like legs).

I was diving Belize to film five years ago and had a French couple as dive masters. We hit really strong current and the two DMs were crawling along the bottom along with the other divers. I was merrily finning and filming them. When we got back on the dive boat, they asked "How did you do that?" I told them "with my powerful German legs." Fortunately they had good senses of humor!

The best suitcase friendly fin is the Zeagle Teloz.
Just bought a set from the beautiful people at Dive Tub.
Did I just do that 99?
Oh Max.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom