To touch or not to touch other diver's gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread makes for depressing reading. It seems that the dive boat is responsible for checking qualified divers have done the most basic checks, literally taught on the first day before even diving. Does nobody take any responsibility for their actions?

It’s damming on the quality of the divers. It’s damming on the quality of their training. It’s damming on the entire buddy system. It’s damming on the culture of anyone else is responsible for 'my' own incompetence.

Isn’t it obvious that the diver is responsible for their own safety and checking their own kit prior to jumping in?

Obviously not.

Welcome to the nanny state where 'my' actions have consequences for others, not me.

I believe you meant "damning" not "damming".

And we, in the US, have been in a "nanny state" for quite some time...our system of tort law seems predicated on folks not owning their personal f-ups.

-Z

Of course it's a nanny state. 80%+ of divers are extremely left leaning. What did you expect?

"You got your card? You got a doctor's note? When was your last dive? Zee papers pleaze."

I saw a fat guy from NY complain to the boat, that the seas were too rough. As if it was their fault. Was a real dck about it. Rude. But it wasn't the dive op's fault. And while the boat indeed, was tossing badly, it wasn't unsafe. And was zero current. Jump or don't jump. I jumped.

Oh, and don't touch my rig.

Crew members checking to see if a diver's gas is turned on is not limited to the US.

Weren’t these issued to you with the court order?
Man you are on fire today:rofl3:

Mistakes are certainly made, but I don't think "non-standard" is the reason since even a non-standard orientation is still lefty-loosey from the handle side. FWIW, I've had it happen with a standard orientation valve. Fortunately, another crew member was checking again at the stern and hopefully would have caught it had I not.
While you are correct, it tracks to be the main reason. 90% of turned off valves I find are the non standard side.

Yeah....... but how hard is it for that crew member who is behind a diver to just say....."Air's on. Good to go". At least at that point I would know someone touched my gear and to do a re-check since it's really my responsibility. Also, if a crew member did ever find a divers air off and turned it on then I would hope he/she would say something to them like...."hey, your air was off".. to make it a learning moment.

The other thing I've seen happen is on buddy checks when a buddy is face to face with a diver and then reaching over their shoulder to check the valve....that can get disorienting for some reason.

Then......there's folks like me who wear a back mounted 19 pony and just last year on the advice of a member here (maybe Boarderguy) started to wear it valve down so I can more easily reach the valve. That configuration can get really disorienting if someone else decides to check it.

And lastly, I'm really glad to hear that folks no longer use the quarter turn back rule. When I retired from teaching 20 years ago, that was still being taught by PADI......but never by me. With the valve either ALL the way on or ALL the way off, all it takes is a glance at your gauge and a couple of hooves on your 2nd and the status will become 100% clear.

You’d let someone’s tank that came out of the tank rack just thrash around on the deck rather than touching it?
In that case, it's another story. If a diver is unable to manage a tank to the extent that it falls off the rack, they're likely a beginner. Or perhaps they're just not paying attention...

Dive gear are like private parts. Don't touch without permission. Of course if you "parts" are swinging around and could hurt someone, that doesn't apply (securing unsecured/insufficiently secured gear).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom