Torch recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The UK lights are terrible and always end up flooding, even with meticulous o-ring maintenance. Consider UK lights to be "throw away" lights after a few uses.

I use the Big Blue light with a soft Goodman handle. It's wonderful. I'd prefer a more rigid light harness if it were available, rather than the neoprene sleeve of the Big Blue.

light180.jpg

I use the DRIS 1000 lumen light as well. I have used it on day dives for looking under/inside things and in bright day light it works great. It is definitely too bright for using as a video light though. I used it on a shrimp with my GoPro this last August and it completely blew out the shot because it was too bright. Last month, my wife and I did our night cert dives. I used my DRIS 1000 for our dives and it worked great. I keep it on a coil clip setup like the one below that I found on eBay..

I added a large round SS key ring to the end of my light so the clip could attach to it because the tab on the end of the light is too small for the larger plastic clip. If I want to release it for extending out my arm I can or I can leave it clipped to my BC. Either way works well. I also have a 220 lumen light that I carry as a back up. I was actually surprised when I lit it up on our cert dive, it was seriously bright all by itself. I honestly didn't think it could keep up with my DRIS 1000 but it did. I can't speak for a can light but I can say that the DRIS 1000 is a great light at a great price. DRIS also has a newer version of it in a shorter length that can be tucked into a soft Goodman style sleeve. I have been thinking about getting one of those too.

On another site I visit there is a diver that makes can lights that are reported to be really nice and they don't break the bank. You can find him on Google or Facebook either one. His lights are Dusty 2 lights. Everyone I talk to really likes them.

Quite a few of my students own Dusty lights. Based on what I've seen with my students lights, they appear pretty well made, very bright, and reliable ... I think they run somewhere between $350 and $400. I wouldn't want to take one inside a cave or below recreational depths, but if you're not doing that kind of diving I think they're probably all the light you'll ever need ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Your "main" torch needs to be indestructable. made of metal,Have TWO o ring seals,Have battery sizes that are readilly available,Have a slide type on /off switch,Be LED,Have a Pencil type beam,be small enough to go in a BC pocket.

No torch needs to be made of metal, and it's probably better if it's not. Derlin never corrodes, and cannot be bent or dented.

While two or more o-ring seals are ideal, you can get away with one (witness the H Scout and Mini-Explorer, both of which are frequently panned for being overpriced and underbuilt, but which have single o-ring seals and are generally good, reliable lights).

Having a slide-type switch is also not a necessary thing, and is probably a bug rather than a feature. Twist on/off is simple, reliable, and eliminates another failure point caused by adding the switch. If you need a switch on a primary light, the best ones tend to use booted flip switches.

LED is probably better than HID for recreational use: it's cheaper and lot more abuse-tollerant. At the same time, signaling type beams (pencil thin) are not great for rec diving because they do such a poor job of lighting up the pretty corals rec divers are generally trying to look at. Thin, punchy beams are more the province of overhead/tech diving, where light communication is more important than just being able to see pretty stuff better.

Lastly, the 'small enough to fit in a BC pocket' thing depends on what you're diving. If you have a BCD with no shoulder d-rings and aren't diving with suit/shorts mounted pockets, I suppose that matters. Putting a 3-C cell light on your chest harness for a BP/W rig is just fine, however, and in a pinch the same length light fits in most dive suit/shorts pockets.

I have 2 Xtar D06's. Not a huge fan of the magnetic "fader" switch (I believe they now have a version with piezo buttons), but it is 1000 lumens, solid build quality, double o ring seal and uses 18650 rechargable LION batteries - so it only cost me another $15 for 2 spare batteries. I generally run it at 50% most of the time and get a good 3-5 hours out of a single charge. The charger has a mini-usb power connector, so can be plugged into a car charger which comes in handy when camping or out on a boat for a couple of days.

I'm going to try and make my own with a BMW HID headlight power pack, housing, and bulb.

Get the goodman handle and that is a great light for the price and just right for recreational night diving.

The goodman handle is now free - even better. I just ordered one.

---------- Post added December 1st, 2013 at 11:20 AM ----------

I'm going to try and make my own with a BMW HID headlight power pack, housing, and bulb.

Post pics when you're done. Sounds like a good project.

The UK lights are terrible and always end up flooding, even with meticulous o-ring maintenance. Consider UK lights to be "throw away" lights after a few uses.

I've had a couple of small UK lights (SL4) that I've used a backup lights and one larger one (a D4) that I used as a main light at one point in the past. I never had any trouble with them leaking as long as they were turned on but on all the small ones on/off switches are horrible. When you go deep enough with them, they'll just go out because the plastic housing changes shape under the pressure and it loses battery contact. The tiny ones that you screw "on" are better but you have to run the light full time during every dive or it will leak.

It basically makes them useless as far as reserve lights go unless you *really* can't afford something better. If that's your situation then I would recommend renting horrible lights instead of buying horrible lights and just saving money until you can buy one that isn't going to let you down.

The D4 never had a problem with the switch but it was a 5-alarm PITA when it came to charging the battery because you basically need a torque wrench to get the front of it off. I had to fashion something out of rubber and metal bar to get it open, and no, I wasn't screwing it on too tight. It's just a bad design. Either way, the whole design of the D4 is outdated now with the advent of decent LED torches that are much more compact and generate the same amount of light.

At this point, given the other products on the market, I'd say that Underwater Kinetics is SO far behind the curve that they really should go back to the drawing board. They used to have a good reputation but I wouldn't recommend their products to anyone anymore.

R..

Many people will complain if you bring a super bright light on a night dive. It ruins the experience and scares away the critters. About 200 to 300 lumens and a 15 or so degree beam is good, even better if there is a low power setting. The little Intovatek wide angle 220 lumen light is a fine night dive light.

Huge can lights, while impressive looking strapped on, are essentially obsolete. I have two lights on my bicycle that produce 1,000 lumens each on high power and I can hold both of them in my palm, very small and recharge from a USB cord. Hopefully dive lights will soon downsize as well.

As to the little UK lights, LED or Halogen, I like them enough that I have bought several dozen and predictably, they all flood. I am done with them.

N

I just buy the ebay cheapies. Under $10 for the first 2. They work and are very small and light.

This one I have as my main light for night diving. Sad I know but it works really well.

NEW PRO Diving Cree Q5 LED Underwater 60M Waterproof Light Lamp Flashlight Torch | eBay

For day dives I use one of these.

18650 Flashlight Torch Waterproof 500LUMEN XML T6 LED Underwater Diving S0BZ | eBay

My backup night dive light, well I use this one initially to get where I want to go then switch to the smaller torch when I get there as this one is too bright. Seriously this guy that comes occasionally has one of those 1 billion dollar canister lights and this one kills it.

Trustfire 4500LM 3X Cree XM L T6 LED 200M Diving Flashlight Torch 26650 Charger | eBay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom