Torn as to which computer to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bostondiver5855

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of ordering 2 new dive computers. I want one that I can wear daily as a watch and am torn between the Suunto D4i Novo, the Oceanic Atom 3.1, or an Oceanic Geo. I am not quite sure If i want air integration or not. Let me know your thoughts. My other computer will be a shearwater petrel.

If you're considering spending $765 for just a Sunnto computer (i.e., no transmitter), why not a second Petrel?

The whole "wear daily as a watch" just doesn't seem to work very well. It's not a watch, it's bulkier than a watch, and it looks silly as a watch (IMO).

Reactions: Jax
If I get the Suunto or the Atom, I'll be getting the transmitter as well. I normally wear a pretty bulky watch so i'm not too worried about size.

If the OP wants to wear a DC as a watch, why would he want a Petrel?

If you're considering spending $765 for just a Sunnto computer (i.e., no transmitter), why not a second Petrel?

The whole "wear daily as a watch" just doesn't seem to work very well. It's not a watch, it's bulkier than a watch, and it looks silly as a watch (IMO).

If the OP wants to wear a DC as a watch, why would he want a Petrel?

If he really wants a DC as a watch, he obviously doesn't want a Petrel. From what I've seen, most people who try that approach wind up not liking it either as a watch or a DC. OP's going to do whatever he wants, but he's here asking.

I just bought a Planet Ocean, a couple Petrels, and called it a day.

I would buy a watch and a separate dive computer.
AI? What for!
Computer/watch is for people who want to show off that he/she is a diver!!!!!

Computer/watch is for people who want to show off that he/she is a diver!!!!!

And the problem is???

---------- Post added July 10th, 2014 at 10:07 AM ----------

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of ordering 2 new dive computers. I want one that I can wear daily as a watch and am torn between the Suunto D4i Novo, the Oceanic Atom 3.1, or an Oceanic Geo. I am not quite sure If i want air integration or not. Let me know your thoughts. My other computer will be a shearwater petrel.

Did you look at the new SP DC watch just came out or are you set in the choices you list?

Hey guys,

Boston Diver,

Of the three you listed I personally would lean towards the D4i. While I have not seen anything wrong with the two Oceanics, I have seen great results with others who are using the D4i. They hold up well and are a rugged DC. It is not unusual for a diver on our island to put 300+ dives a year on them???year after year. We sell three Suunto's for every one Oceanic DC. I too dive with a Petrel and like it very much. But I also like AI computers as a second DC. If you log your dives you will love AI...the data is easy to access. Yes the DCs are a little bulkier than most watches, but if you like a big watch than they are not THAT big. A lot of people wear them on my island everyday.

I am looking at the D6i myself...I like the compass. :d

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom