Trainer killed at Seaworld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An ORCA is not a killer

it is a CARNIVORE
it needs to eat

Carnivores eat meat, and for the carnivore to wait for an animal to drop dead right in front of it isn't all that practical so they have to kill it to survive.

we need to be concerned with sea world
because they have poached whales out of the ocean
when they are a protected species

and these ocra's came straight out of the ocean
from FREE creatures to captivity
this is NOT a breeding zoologist enviroment design to protect a species

SEAWORLD should release ALL orca's
but with the supervisor of a qualified marine biologist
as a group
and during the correct season when other orcas will be swimming in that area of the ocean where they will release them

and YES it will cost alot of money
and YES thye know exaclty where they were captured from
and YES there ARE poachers who capture these animals and sell them to sea world

but it took a lot of money to capture them out of the ocean
and sea world has made a huge profit / abusing these orca whales

an example of reintroduction:
in galveston
sea turtles are raised from babies until they are junveniles
and big enough not to be eaten by birds
then they are taken as a group to florida and released at the hatching season into the ocean
they are relaease at the proper time in the proper location
they dont have to teach them anything
they eat they swim they survive FREE

what is nuts is that when all the turtles and manatees needed to be saved everyone thanked Sea World. Now that one Trainer died and it was one of thier Whales that killed her ( its shut them down and realese the whales) the funding for there help comes from the shows. I guess if she had been killed in a car crash You would want to boycot Ford?

thudd why don't you start a fund and a petition to save the ORCAs?

How much of your own money are you willing to donate to this costly endeavor?

Just curious

As Thal has so eloquently explained... it is vital that handlers be sensitive to the moods, personalities and needs of these individuals.

...wild Orcas kept prey from reaching the surface to breathe to kill it. :duck:
Our point was not just that it is vital that handlers are sensitive to the Orcas' mood(s), but also that management not create a situation (as they did) whereby it becomes almost impossible to keep the whales on the most even keel possible. They do no do well with scripted, repetitious shows.
I for one was happy to hear today that Seaworld have announced the animal will not be put down
Me too.
From the article:

But because of the continuing investigation into Brancheau's death, fans had to settle for the whales taking direction from above the surface. Other precautions were obvious, with more staff on hand throughout the stadium and the female trainers tying their hair up in buns. These adjustments will also take effect at the parks in San Diego and San Antonio.

The female staffers are tying their hair up in buns because the trainer that was killed was yanked by her ponytail. Yeah, tying up the hair will solve that problem!
There may be more to that than you suspect. If I were in charge I'd do my best to get all the trainers to appear as similar as possible, at all times.
An ORCA is not a killer

it is a CARNIVORE
it needs to eat

the pressure put on these whales is enourmous
when did it eat last / how many pounds of food did it get/
why was the orca stressed??? should be the investigation

very sad about the death of the trainer
however that wont slow down sea world
and THEIR SELLING TICKETS and the circus act in the water

FREE the ORCAS in sea world
Unfortunately returning these whales to the wild is not in their best interest.
we need to be concerned with sea world
because they have poached whales out of the ocean
when they are a protected species

and these ocra's came straight out of the ocean
from FREE creatures to captivity
this is NOT a breeding zoologist enviroment design to protect a species

SEAWORLD should release ALL orca's
but with the supervisor of a qualified marine biologist
as a group
and during the correct season when other orcas will be swimming in that area of the ocean where they will release them

and YES thye know exaclty where they were captured from
and YES there ARE poachers who capture these animals and sell them to sea world

but it took a lot of money to capture them out of the ocean
and sea world has made a huge profit / abusing these orca whales

an example of reintroduction:
in galveston
sea turtles are raised from babies until they are junveniles
and big enough not to be eaten by birds
then they are taken as a group to florida and released at the hatching season into the ocean
they are relaease at the proper time in the proper location
they dont have to teach them anything
they eat they swim they survive FREE
Turtles and whales are rather radically different organisms. I wish it where as simple as you think it is, it would make things much easier.

There may be more to that than you suspect. If I were in charge I'd do my best to get all the trainers to appear as similar as possible, at all times.

If you were in charge I'd hate to work for you and be told I have to look "as similar as possible" to the female trainers, especially those with..um...rather full upper bodies...

what is nuts is that when all the turtles and manatees needed to be saved everyone thanked Sea World. Now that one Trainer died and it was one of thier Whales that killed her ( its shut them down and realese the whales) the funding for there help comes from the shows. I guess if she had been killed in a car crash You would want to boycot Ford?

They also seem forget that it was Sea World that saved, rehabbed, and successfully released J.J. the Gray Whale. No one in the world has the facilities, or expertise to pull off saving a whale of that size.

It was also Sea World researchers that discovered a link to a possible cure for cervical cancer in women from studying dolphins.

But what really kills me is the mentality of wanting to release all captive whales, and dolphins back into the wild (80 percent of them were born in captivity)...when in the wild, whales and dolphins are under greater danger of extinction.

I am going to keep pointing this out until someone acknowlegdes this:

The Chinese River Dolphin "The Baijia" just went extinct last year.
The Ganges River Dolphin in India is below 2000 animals left.
The Gulf of California Porpoise "The Vaquita" is down to 150 animals left.
The Maui Dolphin in New Zealand is down to 111 animals left.
The Pacific Northwest Pod of Resident Killer Whales is barely surviving at 90 whales.
The Atlantic Northern Right Whale numbers are only at 450 animals left.
The Western Pacific Gray Whale: also known as the "Korean Gray Whale" which most people don't know exist, or think it's extinct...is barely hanging on at 100 whales total.

These are the whales, dolphins, and porpoises that need immediate attention now.

Lock Washer

this morning on the radio news
a veterinarian
who reviewed the accidental/ incident films
said

that it appeared that the orca passed \ by the trainer - whose long pony tail
had dipped into the water and was wet / he thinks ... the pony tail looked like a fish to the orca
and the orca grabbed the trainer by the ponytail the in the same manner -same as it would grabthe fish- the kind they are get fed in the tank
and dragged her around by the pony tail/ because it wasnt a fish/ and he couldnt swallow the hair
but she could NOT get loose either
and she drowned while being pulled around by the pony tail

that is
hardly agressive behavior

I am going to keep pointing this out until someone acknowlegdes this:

The Chinese River Dolphin "The Baijia" just went extinct last year.
The Ganges River Dolphin in India is below 2000 animals left.
The Gulf of California Porpoise "The Vaquita" is down to 150 animals left.
The Maui Dolphin in New Zealand is down to 111 animals left.
The Pacific Northwest Pod of Resident Killer Whales is barely surviving at 90 whales.
The Atlantic Northern Right Whale numbers are only at 450 animals left.
The Western Pacific Gray Whale: also known as the "Korean Gray Whale" which most people don't know exist, or think it's extinct...is barely hanging on at 100 whales total.

These are the whales, dolphins, and porpoises that need immediate attention now.

Lock Washer

I promise you. Far more people will be upset if SeaWorld closed than will be upset if any of the above listed species goes extinct.

I'm not saying it's right.....but it's true.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
"...when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another Heaven and another Earth must pass before such a one can be again."
-William Beebe
[/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom