Training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ataman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I am a PADI DM and decided to solo dive. I beleive that the training is very important , both for safety and be a role model as PADI refers :p

I looked in to SDI course, however i am not 21. I have been diving for 4 years, own all my equipment, have over 125 dives and been in very stressful conditions and i think i can do it.

Is there any other agency that offers Solo diving courses? I personally never relaied on my buddies and always dove with ones who were less experienced so i think it will be easier to dive not worring, about your buddy! Not to mention , finding a buddy.

Cheers

ataman:
Hi everyone, I am a PADI DM and decided to solo dive. I beleive that the training is very important , both for safety and be a role model as PADI refers :p

I looked in to SDI course, however i am not 21. I have been diving for 4 years, own all my equipment, have over 125 dives and been in very stressful conditions and i think i can do it.

Is there any other agency that offers Solo diving courses? I personally never relaied on my buddies and always dove with ones who were less experienced so i think it will be easier to dive not worring, about your buddy! Not to mention , finding a buddy.

Cheers
ANDI has a solo cert. I would call Todd at Ocean Quest in Burnaby who is an ANDI instructor and may teach this course. If you would prefer to dive on Vancouver Island I can teach you as well.

"Hi everyone, I am a PADI DM and decided to solo dive. I beleive that the training is very important , both for safety and be a role model as PADI refers :p"

Why do you need a "cert" for everything?

Why do adults need a role model?

Why do you want to solo, to add another notch to your PaDI belt?

"have over 125 dives and been in very stressful conditions and i think i can do it."

Well, then, by your own words you are not ready, there is no "think" to it, either you can or you cannot, 125 dives is nothing. What if you started out solo from dive 1?
N

I think the people that ask this question really don't understand the value of the cert for solo diving. If I go to Thailand (as an example) and want to do some sanctioned solo dives from a dive operator's dive boat, I have the best chance of doing this if I have the cert and they are a TDI/SDI facility that must recognze this cert. The cert absolves the operator of the kinds of liability that condoning uncertified solo divers would expose them to.

That is the mail value of the certification...(in my opinion). The student will likely learn some stuff as well that should be useful if the instructor is up to snuff.

Nemrod:
"Hi everyone, I am a PADI DM and decided to solo dive. I beleive that the training is very important , both for safety and be a role model as PADI refers :p"

I was in North Carolina last week. My son got rather seasick and wanted to sit out the second dive. I was diving doubles and decided to go solo. I told the skipper my intentions and he asked me if I was solo certified. He was happy to let me go when I showed my card.
I agree many people can "teach themselves" how to solo safely but sometimes peop[le don't know what they don't know and training can fill those gaps.

Hey there

I have no idea why you wrote such a offensive messgae, but anyways i will respond to your questions...

I do not need the cert for everything but i need the trainning for it. This being, deep diving, techical diving, nitorx, solo or simply to dive at the first place. Thats why everone takes the open water course or any other entry level course from an egncy. Plus as some ppl already pointed out, cert card comes handy to proff your tranning. Being honest kind of a stupid question.

Why do adults need a role model?

People do need role models. Does not matter if they are adults or kids, i am a 18 year old DM and have people looking up to me that are 35 years old or even older. Asking questions about equipment, diving, marine life etc. Inexperienced ppl always look up to thow who are more qualified and experienced than they are. human nature.

Why do you want to solo, to add another notch to your PaDI belt?

I find that sometimes its get very hard to find buddies. Thats reason number one. Even when i do find buddies, most of the time they do not wanna do things i do, or their experience and trainning does not permit. I already have done some solo dives too, and i like it.

"have over 125 dives and been in very stressful conditions and i think i can do it."

Well, then, by your own words you are not ready, there is no "think" to it, either you can or you cannot, 125 dives is nothing. What if you started out solo from dive 1?

I say i think, to ask you guys, who are most experienced then i am, your opinion. This connects to the question number 2 about role models. I think i am reayd and as i said i did some solo dives before.

I hope those will answer your questions. You need to learn to respect peoples ideas and tell your opinons to others with respect. You will get a lot more respect yourself if you do.

Cheers

"I hope those will answer your questions. You need to learn to respect peoples ideas and tell your opinons to others with respect. You will get a lot more respect yourself if you do."

What idea?, the one that you "think" you can do "it"? Ataman, if you want to be told what you want to hear, I am not your guy, your statements were couched as questions, those were my rhetorical answers, like them or not.

"Hi everyone, I am a PADI DM and decided to solo dive. I beleive that the training is very important , both for safety and be a role model as PADI refers :p "

Certs are good, go get it, most dive operations are PadI and I doubt they will honor it but of course there are times when it would be handy. I don't buy into the merit badge programs, you do, good for you, I prefer the school of hard knocks. I do not believe that another cert course or another piece of equipment is the solution to every problem. You believe that, OK, no harm in that but I don't think those are the important things, I don't think you train in common sesne or experience, those things are learned by doing.

"I looked in to SDI course, however i am not 21. I have been diving for 4 years, own all my equipment, have over 125 dives and been in very stressful conditions and i think i can do it."

OK

If you don't like what I say, sorry that is life, I am not a good role model I guess. Good luck. N

I'd also add that after the conversation with PADI headquarters that the owner of the shop I work with had on thursday with one of the guys in the training dept regarding rumors of a PADI solo course forget about soloing and being a PADI "role model". Even though they have changed their position on solo diving and recognize it happens they do not consider it to be part of their idea of role model behavior. In fact their response was on the order of "hell no" regarding the solo course and therefore they do not in any way encourage it. If you want to get the cert go ahead but when DM'ing and representing a PADI shop you would be well advised to not lie about doing it but advertising that you do solo diving would not be a good thing. Me, I'll continue because I know I can and do it safely when students from the shop I represent are not present. And like Nemrod said if you "think" you are ready you are probably not. You either are or you aren't and the only thing that will make you ready is experience and your mindset. No course is going to give you what you need in this area. After giving it some thought over the last few days I am convinced that all a course will do is encourage those who are really not ready to try it, give them a false sense of security, and result in some "card collector" ending up dead. If you want to know what i mean by false sense of security versus actual experience get a copy of "Fatal Depth" and read it. See why thinking you are capable of something and knowing what you can do are completely different animals.

Let me be more clear. I think solo is more attitude and personality than taking some course with somewhat artificial requiremnts. I FULLY believe that there are people who could/can--and do--dive solo from the beginning. AND I FULLY believe that there are people who will never be truly capable solo divers regardless of how many merit badge and boutique courses they assimilate or dives they log.

I am sorry if this is upsetting to the Federation but it is an observation of mine that is more than opinion, people are different, not better or worse or lesser or greater but different, in the way they react, the way they learn, the way they see things, the personality, the approach to life. N

Back
Top Bottom