Training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Let me be more clear. I think solo is more attitude and personality than taking some course with somewhat artificial requiremnts. I FULLY believe that there are people who could/can--and do--dive solo from the beginning. AND I FULLY believe that there are people who will never be truly capable solo divers regardless of how many merit badge and boutique courses they assimilate or dives they log.

I am sorry if this is upsetting to the Federation but it is an observation of mine that is more than opinion, people are different, not better or worse or lesser or greater but different, in the way they react, the way they learn, the way they see things, the personality, the approach to life. N

Well said

Nemrod:
Let me be more clear. I think solo is more attitude and personality than taking some course with somewhat artificial requiremnts. I FULLY believe that there are people who could/can--and do--dive solo from the beginning. AND I FULLY believe that there are people who will never be truly capable solo divers regardless of how many merit badge and boutique courses they assimilate or dives they log.

I am sorry if this is upsetting to the Federation but it is an observation of mine that is more than opinion, people are different, not better or worse or lesser or greater but different, in the way they react, the way they learn, the way they see things, the personality, the approach to life. N

I very strongly agree with you. Well put. I haven't heard an explanation like that in a very long time.

Nemrod:
I don't buy into the merit badge programs, you do, good for you, I prefer the school of hard knocks. I do not believe that another cert course or another piece of equipment is the solution to every problem. You believe that, OK, no harm in that but I don't think those are the important things, I don't think you train in common sesne or experience, those things are learned by doing.

Sheesh, you make it sound like wanting to get training before going head-first into solo diving is a bad thing. You're probably right in that its not just another skill you can pick up in a 1 or 2 day course like, say, night diving, but I think its good to get the training if you're going to do it.

DeepBound:
Sheesh, you make it sound like wanting to get training before going head-first into solo diving is a bad thing. You're probably right in that its not just another skill you can pick up in a 1 or 2 day course like, say, night diving, but I think its good to get the training if you're going to do it.

If you know how to dive and the physics associated with it solo doesn change any of it. If you feel you need redundant equiptment you should be able to figure that out on your own pretty easy. The main thing that may need training in is your mind set. Are you willing to take the risk, real or perceived that goes with solo diving and can you make good judgments that minumize the risk both from an equiptment and judgment point of view. I don't think anyone can teach you good judgement, it comes with experience. The equiptment part is pretty easy, but I would say if you feel you need three of everything to feel comfortable than maybe solo isn't for you. Self evaluation is the key, can you handle what might happen in a calm logical way. The only thing I can say in favor of training is you get a card that may or may not give you access to diving solo on charters.

captain:
If you know how to dive and the physics associated with it solo doesn change any of it. If you feel you need redundant equiptment you should be able to figure that out on your own pretty easy. The main thing that may need training in is your mind set. Are you willing to take the risk, real or perceived that goes with solo diving and can you make good judgments that minumize the risk both from an equiptment and judgment point of view. I don't think anyone can teach you good judgement, it comes with experience. The equiptment part is pretty easy, but I would say if you feel you need three of everything to feel comfortable than maybe solo isn't for you. Self evaluation is the key, can you handle what might happen in a calm logical way. The only thing I can say in favor of training is you get a card that may or may not give you access to diving solo on charters.
You can say that about any dive training. Any idiot can be a trimix diver. They can figure it out on their own and if all goes well they will gain experince. Training is about learning from other's experience. Every form of diving was done by an untrained person at least once but when you don't have to why not get proper training.

wedivebc:
I agree many people can "teach themselves" how to solo safely but sometimes peop[le don't know what they don't know and training can fill those gaps.

Exactly.

That's what training is for, to fill in those blanks many divers don't even know exist. Is it absolutely necessary? Of course not. But the majority of people are probably unwilling or unable to put in the requisite time and effort to learn on their own in a relatively safe manner comparable to good instruction. In most cases, good instruction not only speeds up the learning process but makes it safer too.

If there ia a solo instructor on this board please chime in and post the course work for a solo certification. I would really like see it. Maybe I will see what it is I don't know about solo that I haven't learned in 40 years of doing it.

I hope that you'd practice some skills that might or might not scare you, and help you understand if you're ready. Also you might learn about some scenarios you hadn't thought of. Well, not *you*, since you've been diving so long, but a newer diver.

captain:

ataman:
Hi everyone, I am a PADI DM and decided to solo dive. I beleive that the training is very important , both for safety and be a role model as PADI refers :p

I looked in to SDI course, however i am not 21. I have been diving for 4 years, own all my equipment, have over 125 dives and been in very stressful conditions and i think i can do it.

Is there any other agency that offers Solo diving courses? I personally never relaied on my buddies and always dove with ones who were less experienced so i think it will be easier to dive not worring, about your buddy! Not to mention , finding a buddy.

Cheers

After OW training all I could get in training was the Solo diving book by von Maier...no formal classes in my area.

I'm signed up for a solo class starting next week, and I have the instructor's solo course outline from SDI, and it lists what should be covered. One thing not listed is actually practicing untangling yourself. I think entanglement is the biggest danger when solo diving compared to buddy diving. I hope they do some entanglement exercises in the water, but I bet it's too dangerous to do as a skill test.

If you want to see the course outline, PM me with your email address. It's a PDF file.

captain:
If there ia a solo instructor on this board please chime in and post the course work for a solo certification. I would really like see it. Maybe I will see what it is I don't know about solo that I haven't learned in 40 years of doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom