Transporting tanks in your vehicle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BubbaFetta

Reaction score
As my vehicle is a hatch back (with the rear seats always folded down), I do not have the luxury of a trunk to put my tanks in.

I have 2 sets of twin AL80s.
As they are twinsets, they do not roll.

I have no way to securing these tanks with straps as there are no anchor points for tie downs. Instead, I place padding between the tanks. There isn't enough space for the tanks to stand upright in the car either.

Recently, when I was on the freeway, I had more than a few clueless aggressive tailgaters riding my bumper even though I was already cruising at 85 mph in the middle lane. Of course, the morons had no idea that there were four 3000 psi 80 cu. ft. cylinders in my car. If they hit me at those speeds and ruptured those bottles, they would be finding pieces of us in China (stir-fry, anyone?)...

I fabricated a placard to hang off the rear of my vehicle that states, "KEEP BACK! HIGH PRESSURE CYLINDERS ONBOARD" but a friend told me that that is asking to be pulled over and cited by the cops.

Is that true?

-BubbaFetta

BubbaFetta:
I fabricated a placard to hang off the rear of my vehicle that states, "KEEP BACK! HIGH PRESSURE CYLINDERS ONBOARD" but a friend told me that that is asking to be pulled over and cited by the cops.
Whether or not the cops would bother you, I don't know. The only possible CVC violation that I can think could even be considered to apply would be if the cop thought that you were using the vehicle for commercial purposes with non-commercial plates.

What would happen though, is that other drivers will pay little attention to it... like the "baby on board" tags common in the 90s. "Oh... there's a baby in the car so I'll hit THIS OTHER one instead". Same for the sign regarding the cylinders.

How often do you see people driving aggressively around trucks carrying tanks in the open... or gasoline trucks, or other vehicles with hazmat signs...

People don't care, and they operate under the assumption that they WON'T hit you.

Rich is right, I contemplated getting the british Hazchem sign for compressed air for Mrs Mares and decided against it for all the reasons Rich mentioned plus the fact you are advertising the fact you have some expensive kit in your car :wink:

I have a pick-up with no top on it. I considered building a vertical rack for my tanks and discussed the design with my LDS. He told me having the tanks where they could be seen is asking for trouble from the D.O.T. Apparently they are considered hazardous cargo because of the high pressure and you must have a license and appropriate tags.

brianwl:
I have a pick-up with no top on it. I considered building a vertical rack for my tanks and discussed the design with my LDS. He told me having the tanks where they could be seen is asking for trouble from the D.O.T. Apparently they are considered hazardous cargo because of the high pressure and you must have a license and appropriate tags.

Carrying compressed air in the UK is not a problem as long as it is not for commercial reasons.

Don't know about the US........... Sorry :06:

I have a dive trailer that always has 6-12 sets of doubles, stage tanks and large bank cylinders of helium and oxygen aboard.

I do not post anything on my trailer for this reasons.

I do not want to advertise whats in my trailer to some dirt bag, scum of the earth, thief, that need cash for another crack hit. Even though I did think about putting a big sign on the back that said, COW SH%# HAULING.

Curt Bowen:
Even though I did think about putting a big sign on the back that said, COW SH%# HAULING.
Sure, you joke about it. But I live on the boarder on Idaho where, with some of my dive buddies, it might be true!

Anyway, this is old advice, but I always point the valves toward the front of the vehicle. The valve is the most likely damage point, and I'd rather have the tanks rocketing AWAY from my truck then toward the front seat.

Rick Inman:
Sure, you joke about it. But I live on the boarder on Idaho where, with some of my dive buddies, it might be true!

Anyway, this is old advice, but I always point the valves toward the front of the vehicle. The valve is the most likely damage point, and I'd rather have the tanks rocketing AWAY from my truck then toward the front seat.

Due to mass, I'd be much more worried about the valve end. If the tank is going to "rocket" any place then that valve is REALLY going to be moving.

Joe

Rick Inman:

Rick, sorry to tell you this, but, while the tank is heading to the back of your truck, where do you think the little valve is going? Sitting in mid air and just hanging there? Not!!!!! It's making it's way through the cab just like a bullet. Valve will move long before the big ole heavy tank.

Due to mass, I'd be much more worried about the valve end. If the tank is going to "rocket" any place then that valve is REALLY going to be moving.

Speaking about this. Did anyone hear the urban legend that a diver was carry a tank in the back of an open pick-up truck. Some how the valve of the tank was broke off. The rear of the tank was facing to the cab of the truck. When the valve broke off, the tank rocketed towards the cab of the truck.

Just like on T.V. (Comercials)

When the tank hit the back of the cab, it went through the back and right through the abdomin of the driver. When Rescue arrived on scene, the driver was already dead with the tank still lodged in his abdomin.j

Just remember, I'm only relaying what I was told. I was just curious if anyone else has heard the same or similar tale?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom