Travel DIR Scuba Canister LED Light 15 WT, 1000+ lumen DIR , LIIO, tight beam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Received my light today and keen to take it for a dive. Just need to rig it for Sidemount. I made a small 'mod' to the batteries to stop them banging around in the canister and to aid in pulling them out as I don't want to damage the electrical connector.
a9evu6en.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PM sent, didn't mention I'd like one with the longer cord for side mount....until now :wink:

---------- Post added July 4th, 2014 at 04:11 PM ----------

wondering....would it be possible to get one of these 1-LED lights with the bigger canister and light setting switch from the awesome new light you're starting to make?

Received my light in South Australia 2 weeks ago and just took it for a dive last weekend in Mt Gambier.
Really impressed, it was better than I expected. It performed equally if not better than the brand name canisters my buddies were diving. Thanks Andrew, should be some more Australian orders coming your way.

Enjoy. and for everyone else, i just made another batch. pm if you like to get one.

I did a little research on the LED used for this light, the CREE XM-L T6. Here is a data sheet on it that may be helpful to Andrew or others interested: HERE

There are extensive discussions about this LED in various techy forums, the gist of what I learned is that the emitter will generate up to 975Lm under ideal conditions. It can be "pushed" further by increasing power (how? i dunno), but usually is not because it would require a better heat sink than is normally used, so the light would be very strong but would diminish quickly as the heat rises. I wonder if this means that the LED can operate at a higher Lm in water. Another point that I gleaned from discussions between more technically inclined persons, is that the lumens "out the front" (OTF) will be significantly lower, perhaps a loss of up to 25%, owing to light lost to the reflector and i don't know what else. These points are mostly just for the nerds out there who like to know everything about everything, but a point that I got from this short net research is that lumen ratings from sellers means very little because the performance can be influenced by so many factors and the estimates offered are usually based on the potential lumen rating of the emitter rather than what the light produces. So, it's really great when people add reviews with comparisons. Thanks all reviewers, you're talked me into ordering one of these for myself.

Cheers,
z.

thanks, thats some deep discussions there for this little led :) i just liked the focus it had and comparison to my 21WT HID and price

cooking new batch next week.. taking orders.. get your lunch money ready..

i have one more left from this batch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom