Traveling with gear on airplane.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dadiver

Registered
Reaction score
Our next dive trip will be to the Caribbean requiring us to travel via commercial airliner. What items are recommended to be carried on? As a note I will also be traveling with (2) two sets of gear (1) one Wife and (3) three Kids. I will definitely carry on our computers and Kids.

Any input related to traveling with scuba gear on a commercial airliner would be appreciated.

:idea:

Sounds like you have it figured out.

We were allowed to only have one carry on PLUS a personal bag which is supposed to be purse sized, this has to be stored under your seat or held. So we each used the purse deal for our regs. They even allowed my blunt back up dive knife which attaches to one of the hoses. I forgot to remove that but was surprised they allowed it.

The rest of our gear goes into a pelican hard case. We can fit the wetsuits, BCD's, lights, junk and such that way.

Since we stayed for a long trip on Maui this time we left our weights home and purchased some here. When we leave we will hide them in some rocks and use them on our next trip in a year. For a short trip we'd rent weights.

I use to use the Pelican cases prior to 9/11. Now they just attract attention, cause TSA to you-know-what a brick, and are now even causing attention at check in for additional fees.

I have gone to a local store....walmart...lowes...home depot...with my bcd...and found a very tough "tupper ware" like plastic container that my bcd will fit it well but snuggly and a few other items...hood...mask...small things.

Then i put this plastic container into a BUM bag which is nothing more than a duffle with a huge zipper.

This does a couple of things for me. It gives me a little more assurance the 'luggage apes' wont damage my bck and integrated air source by tossing it like a sack of fertilizer....and the bag is non-descript so it does not yelll ''dive gear...steal me!!!''' .... nor does it cause attention at check in to cause an additional fee for hauling dive gear (ALL airlines have clauses allowing them to charge for dive gear...BY THE PIECE..) but they dont for golf clubs or hang gliders...duh.

I still carry my regs....computer...dive logs....and pony bottle (drained and plugged) on the plane as carry on. No problems so far You got real lucky on the knife!!

RICHinNC,

Are you saying the airlines have a additional charge for dive gear even if it’s not over or exceeding any weight/size limits? Do you know what the charge is and who determines if you are going to be charged?

Thanks for the information.

Depends on the airline. I just came back from Mexico. Suit, fins, spare air, etc went checked. Regulators, computer and FFM went in my carry on. Flew Continental who are more scuba friendly than other airlines. No extra cost. Had no problems with the gear other than being stopped by TSA because the FFM threw them a curve. They thought I was carrying a gas mask! They did not recognize the whole bag being red with a white stripe associating it with scuba! The inspectors were polite enough and once explained I had no hassles. They were just doing their job. Only a 2-3 minute inconvenience.

I pack everything but my computer in a hard sided suitcase and secure it with a luggage strap. I've never had any problems with that arrangement. Make sure it's under the weight limit for the airline so they don't charge you a overweight luggage fee.

You might want to check your wife, however.

:)

Seriously, you should carry on anything that you can't stand to lose. My computer is the onw irreplacable piece of gear I own - it goes in the carry on. If you have a prescription mask - carry on. I stronly suggest hand carrying your regulator.

After an unfortunate luggage incident on American Airlines ruined a dive trip for me I now manage to fit almost all of my gear into a carry on. I also make sure that I have at least my essential toletries, a change of underwear and one swimsuit in the carry on.

Another suggestion for packing is mixing up your clothing in your checked luggage. In other words, some of your stuff goes into your wife's suitcase, some of your wife's stuff goes into your suitcase, and the kids cross-pack. That way if one suitcase is lost or delayed, you at least all have something to wear.

dadiver once bubbled...
As a note I will also be traveling with (2) two sets of gear (1) one Wife and (3) three Kids. I will definitely carry on our computers and Kids.

Just recently flew to the caribbean with some scuba gear for two. We don't have regs but everything else including knives and a completely foldable mesh bag (to carry the stuff on the boat) went into our ski/utility bag. It's great because it's like a large duffle bag with wheels and lots of room for everything. We, of course, locked it up and checked it in without any problems. I'm surprised to hear about the dive gear fee. At the airport they even had us open the bag and check the contents. They went through our dive gear and cleared us. No problems at all. I agree that dive comp, logs etc.. should be carried on. Have fun.

Since they don't always check inside every bag you are much better off traveling with a bag that doesn't have scuba emblems on it. Besides allerting the airlines people that you have an "extra" you are alerting thieves that you have some expensive crap in there.

National charges 25 bucks each way for scuba gear if they see it. Since we packed it in a pelican without decals they didn't open it and didn't concern themselves with it. They just rubbed some tape over it that is supposed to tell if you have explosives in the bag.

Yep even if there isn't an overweight charge many airlines charge for scuba gear.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
Besides allerting the airlines people that you have an "extra" you are alerting thieves that you have some expensive crap in there.

On the last group trip I went on two people had gear stolen from their checked luggage. One of the gentlemen lost a brand new, very expensive wet suit to a theif who had access to his suitcase some time between the time he dropped it off with the TSA, and picked it up at the baggage claim area of the Grand Cayman airport.

It's disgusting, isn't it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom