Tri-Mix Agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree that 50 dives is the best time to start thinking about Intro to tech, UTD Essentials or GUE-F type courses.

Not for all - it entiely depends on the capability of the diver concerned and the quality of the diving they have done during those first 50 dives.

That said... a further 50 dive 'build-up' focusing entirely on developing the right skillset and mindset, supported by appropriate introductory training is perfect preparation for tech training.

I think the general consensus here is that if you are headed for 50 meters, the sooner you get your skillset evaluated formally the sooner you can begin to work towards that goal under the guidance of a instructor or mentor. Part of the intro to "anything" is a evaluation. This is where the instructor will either agree to take you forward or reccomend that some other steps be taken prior to being re-evaluated. This gives the individual divers skills an honest look, some are ready, some need additional time underwater, some will never be ready.
I prefer the intro route/gue/utd to the other agencies as the focus in these is on the honest evaluation, not just meeting some standards.
Eric

You can also look into Advance Wreck training. This differs from Technical Wreck (a post-tech training course). I know a few instructors that run courses like this. It's a course, but not a certification (unless the instructor concerned has it authorised as a 'distinctive speciality etc).

Part of the intro to "anything" is a evaluation.
That's the hard thing to do on your own, too. Sure, you can ask people, but as long as you're not actually popping to the surface like a cork and running into the boat prop most divers will say you're okay whatever the truth is, because it's good manners to do so.

...the quality of the diving they have done during those first 50 dives.
I've always tried to do 'interesting' dives when they come up. About two thirds of those dives are on the local reefs(which are nice but not terribly challenging), the other third on local wrecks. The wrecks are all in about 20-30m, the reef's about 12-16m. Often what were planned as wreck dives turned into reef dives due to bad weather off shore (I guess that's what turned them into wrecks).

Unfortunately I don't think anyone around here offers advanced wreck, but I'll double check. There's one TDI shop with a good local reputation for tech diving, I'll go see them about intro courses in the New Year.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even consider taking as a tech student someone with so few dives. I'd look for far more dives, deeper and more demanding, with people who would probably have been good mentors. I'd be particularly interested in cold water dives as they're intrinsically more demanding. For the record, I didn't start any tech diving (or what we called tech anyway) until I had around 1000 dives. But in that first thousand most dives were in cold water, and it was normal in my dive club for the first dive of a day to be to around 45-50 metres. Every dive (other than the very first and those o n a few warm-water holidays) was in a drysuit and on every dive I carried and deployed a DSMB.

Don't try to rush it. Take your time and you'll end up a better diver.

Should have said. My early training was mostly with BSAC, my warm water training was PADI and SSI, and my tech training was with IANTD and TDI. I have a lot of respect for IANTD, less so for TDI. I have no experience with GUE but I believe they're also good, despite the few DIR idiots I've come across at my dive centre.

...So who else out there offers a good, reliable Tri-Mix classes?

The World Underwater Federation (CMAS) also offers a number of technical programs including Trimix and Cave.

I'd look for far more dives, deeper and more demanding, with people who would probably have been good mentors.
Fair enough. The problem is finding deeper and more demanding dives, because AFAIK the recreational operators here won't do them. In Qld we've got the most over-regulated dive industry in the world and most operators play it very safe. I would really like to do some slightly more demanding dives, hence the original question about intro training courses, because I thought that might be a way to do so.

But in that first thousand most dives were in cold water, and it was normal in my dive club for the first dive of a day to be to around 45-50 metres.
I'm not aware of any non-tech operator in Qld who does those sorts of dives. I think the regulations prohibit it. As an example, the two outfits that do 'advanced' dive days will still dive within the 30m rec limit. (Of course if anyone knows better re dive groups around Brisbane please let me know!)

Not for all - it entiely depends on the capability of the diver concerned and the quality of the diving they have done during those first 50 dives.

That said... a further 50 dive 'build-up' focusing entirely on developing the right skillset and mindset, supported by appropriate introductory training is perfect preparation for tech training.

The longer you wait the more ingrained your bad habits become. You might as well do something "Intro to tech", GUE-F or Essentials like sooner rather than later. Its not certifying you to do anything new, just understand where the bar is and start applying better skills to your existing recreational dives. (although some of these choices do certify you for nitrox use if you aren't already)

I've always tried to do 'interesting' dives when they come up. About two thirds of those dives are on the local reefs(which are nice but not terribly challenging), the other third on local wrecks. The wrecks are all in about 20-30m, the reef's about 12-16m. Often what were planned as wreck dives turned into reef dives due to bad weather off shore (I guess that's what turned them into wrecks).

Unfortunately I don't think anyone around here offers advanced wreck, but I'll double check. There's one TDI shop with a good local reputation for tech diving, I'll go see them about intro courses in the New Year.

You also need to ask yourself who is actually taking people on these sort of dives in the area. I did nitrox to Deco procedures with DDD, just out of Brisbane. These days I do most of my wreck, deco dives out of Sydney.

If you find a boat that does deco dives up that way, do let me know. Most of the deco operators gave it up as a bad joke after the regs went mad.

Thanks, it was DDD I was going to talk to.
For your own info, I know that PB dive on the GC do a bit of interesting stuff, mainly to deeper wrecks in that area as charters for interested groups, maybe you could bunk in. Ask Herb, in my recreational experience they're a great outfit. Also, I heard from a member of the Brisbane URGQ that some of their people do tech dives in SEQ, so they may be worth contacting. The regulations are horrendous and I don't blame the operators for shying away from anything more challenging than Flinders. As it is, in the current spendthrift environment most of them are barely keeping their heads above water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom