Tried my drysuit... Problem with feet/legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

Finally made to take my new drysuit underwater. It really felt great. The water was 4º celsius and I didnt feel any cold whatsoever... It was amazing.... Extremely happy with it.

Only problem was with my legs / feet. First dive I used 12 kilos in my BCD. I was having problems with my feet and legs. Basically they went too much up all the time. I just couldnt keep them down. at some stage, the instructor put 1 kg in each pocket of the drysuit and the problem went away. On the second dive and went again with the 12kg plus 2 kg in the pockets of the drysuit. Again I felt no problems with my position (dived perfectly horizontal), although I was going too much down (think it was too much weight)

Any clue about what should I do to be able to fix this problem with the feet/legs? I have fin keepers but I didnt try them. Should they make any difference? Or what the gators? Would that solve my problem?

Thanks

Regards.

nunomix:
Hi Guys,

Finally made to take my new drysuit underwater. It really felt great. The water was 4º celsius and I didnt feel any cold whatsoever... It was amazing.... Extremely happy with it.

Only problem was with my legs / feet. First dive I used 12 kilos in my BCD. I was having problems with my feet and legs. Basically they went too much up all the time. I just couldnt keep them down. at some stage, the instructor put 1 kg in each pocket of the drysuit and the problem went away. On the second dive and went again with the 12kg plus 2 kg in the pockets of the drysuit. Again I felt no problems with my position (dived perfectly horizontal), although I was going too much down (think it was too much weight)

Any clue about what should I do to be able to fix this problem with the feet/legs? I have fin keepers but I didnt try them. Should they make any difference? Or what the gators? Would that solve my problem?

Thanks

Regards.

Solution: Wing-bcd, and use your bcd instead of your suit for bouyancy control. I suppose you're into a PADI drysuit specialty course, and they teach you to use your suit for bouyancy control. Am I right? If so, there's your problem!

:05:

KOMPRESSOR:
Solution: Wing-bcd, and use your bcd instead of your suit for bouyancy control. I suppose you're into a PADI drysuit specialty course, and they teach you to use your suit for bouyancy control. Am I right? If so, there's your problem!

:05:

Hi. I did my course with a technical diver and therefore used BCD for buoyancy and not the drysuit.. so that is still not my solution :)

regards

nunomix:
Hi. I did my course with a technical diver and therefore used BCD for buoyancy and not the drysuit.. so that is still not my solution :)

regards

Good to hear, but there's still to much air in your suit if you are feet-up. How's the fit of your dry suit? Are the legs to wide? What make is it?

nunomix:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Regards.

You might want to try Gaiters...see following site as an example

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/drysuits/gaiter.shtml

Paul in VT

KOMPRESSOR:
Good to hear, but there's still to much air in your suit if you are feet-up. How's the fit of your dry suit? Are the legs to wide? What make is it?

I have a DUI TLS350 Explorer Edition Custom Fit. The fit of the suit is good.. So dont think it is that...

I was told to try the gaiters. I am just wondering whether that will really fix the problem..

Man some dudes slam them but a 1&1/2 #lb of tube lead on your ankle will solve this, also if your boots have too much room take it out with socks, Gators work, But the old wienee weight will work for you!
Try it!
Brad

nunomix:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Regards.

A lot of this has to do with being new with the suit. Ankle weights work very well for me, but I found out that the more I dive the dry suit, the more comfortable I felt in it, the better my trim. I switched to lighter ankle weights without any problems. Keep diving your suit, be safe, and have fun.

Sounds like my leearing curve too.

The fin keepers will kill off some boot volume and will help.
Heaviers socks will firm up the boot fit and displace a little air volume.
Ankle weights are not evil though you might outgrow them.

With my suit I found the leg fit to be looser than my upper body hence I became somewhat foot light. I'm adding just enough air to stop squeeze but the legs just worked out to be more buoyant than my wet configuration. Adding a DUI weight and trim so I could carry my weight safely below waist level did wonders.

Remember that weight is weight and trim is trim.

Pete

nunomix:
I have a DUI TLS350 Explorer Edition Custom Fit. The fit of the suit is good.. So dont think it is that...

I was told to try the gaiters. I am just wondering whether that will really fix the problem..

I had recently my 2nd drysuit dive and had feet rising problems, also I wore 12kg(I weigh 75kg/ 11st 10lbs) for a 4mm neoprene suit (which wasnt enough), the fit is good.
I was wondering is your suit neoprene because i'd like to find the optimal weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom