Tried my drysuit... Problem with feet/legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy:
A lot of this has to do with being new with the suit. Ankle weights work very well for me, but I found out that the more I dive the dry suit, the more comfortable I felt in it, the better my trim. I switched to lighter ankle weights without any problems. Keep diving your suit, be safe, and have fun.
I agree with Coach (go figure) but seriously... Ankle weights (not too tight, as to squeeze the suit) and don't over-inflate your suit. Make sure your exhaust valve is open... the suit will regulate itself.

Firstly, I would try to use rubber fins (Jetfin or something similar). If that doesn't help, I would go for Gaiters, and as a last resort... ankle weights.

Above all give yourself time to figure this out. Compared to diving wet you have some volume of air in the suit and it will make your trim varriable to some extent. I have a lot to learn still but I did find that sometimes all I need to do is force my legs down so that more of the contained bubble is near my shoulders. If that happens too much vent some suit air and replace it with BC volume. Be carefull not to just keep adding weights. As always every diver will have a unique solution.

Pete

I didn't say to add weight... just to shift some weight around.

i would use ankle weights till you get better trimming yourself. helped me out at the beginning.

Benny-c:
I had recently my 2nd drysuit dive and had feet rising problems, also I wore 12kg(I weigh 75kg/ 11st 10lbs) for a 4mm neoprene suit (which wasnt enough), the fit is good.
I was wondering is your suit neoprene because i'd like to find the optimal weight.

Hi Benny. My drysuit is trilam.

Green_Manelishi:
I also recommend the DUI W&T system.

Hi... How dont understand how DUI W&T will help. Wouldnt the weight be positioned more or less in the same place as with the BCD weight system?

nunomix:
Hi... How dont understand how DUI W&T will help. Wouldnt the weight be positioned more or less in the same place as with the BCD weight system?

With a W&T system you can place weight (considerably) lower than your waist. It might not work for you but it's worth trying. Ankle weights might solve the problem, perhaps not; weight that far "out" on your legs can make your feet heavy.
Remeber that you are trimming yourself and like trimming a see-saw you want to avoid too much weight at the extremes.

nunomix:
Any clue about what should I do to be able to fix this problem with the feet/legs? I have fin keepers but I didnt try them. Should they make any difference? Or what the gators?

As many has written try lowering the weights, while getting used to the suit and if youre diving with a steel-tank, you can remove the tank-boot and drop a couple og kg in there, which puts the weight very low (I do this, but its my own tank).

Experiment, and use half the weight or less if you decide that you want to try ankle-weights.

OBS: Keep total amount of weight constant, ie. move from belt to boot or ankle etc.

Regards

Nicolai Hanssing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom