Tried Split Fins... Not Impressed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "You're going to die" :D

warning_20130423105912.jpg

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 07:09 PM ----------
The fins you use should dictate what you are doing. Photography? You definitely don't want split fins. Doing 800 yard/meter swim tests for your dive master program? [-]You[/-] I definitely want split fins. When [-]you[/-] I have to haul ass, split fins are [-]your[/-] my friend. I use Hollis F1 fins that I love, but [-]they are[/-] I am[-]nowhere near as fast as[/-] much slower with them than I am with split fins when it comes to swimming hard.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 03:55 PM ----------

I had the Apollo Bio fins. I'm going to redo the 800 yard swim test with them, as one of the other candidates was just hauling ass with his.

Fixed your "first-person vs second person" pronoun problem.

Let me know if you can beat my ~12min time wearing Jets.

Proper technique trumps "better gear" every time. (And I was 40lbs heavier at the time.)

:D

TMHeimer, there are other fin selections that can be made if the goal is to relieve oneself of muscle cramps. The
fins of which I speak are not split fins.

RJP, thanks for reminding me of my manners.

Split fins can certainly be more comfortable for long surface swims. I've used both the Atomic splits and the Mares Raptors. I actually had a semi-decent helicopter turn with the Raptors, but couldn't back kick to save my life. Blade fins let me swim and position myself with the precision that I want.

I wish more photographers would learn how to properly position themselves and hold in place before taking a camera into the water. The worse offenders always seem to wear floppy splits, and are oblivious to how much they're ruining the visibility for everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The worse offenders always seem to wear floppy splits, and are oblivious to how much they're ruining the visibility for everyone else.

That's so they can quickly swim from photo op to photo op... how else are they going to get to ruin every picture?

I was the only person in my rescue class not wearing split fins. I always had to go slow when I was towing because the split fin users had trouble keeping up. I knew then that I would never own a set.

I also LOVE scuba pro novas but their GORILLA version. The only fin I found to be close was fins from Dive Rite. Right now $105 at leisure pro:

2642.jpg

I also LOVE scuba pro novas but their GORILLA version. The only fin I found to be close was fins from Dive Rite.

I have to laugh. A lot of this issue came to a head when I asked my LDS if they could order a set of the Gorillas for me. Based on what I'm reading here, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these Dive Rite EXPs.

diveriteFins.jpg

I can get them for about 1/2 of what new are running. From what I can find, about the only real difference between these and the newer XTs is the way the spring strap attaches.

Thoughts?

SMW

... If they sell Mares, the Power Planas are wonderful.

+1 for Mares Power Planas... or my fav, the Mares Avanti Quattros. My dive buddy and I did a Scubapro Nova demo in Grand Cayman last Oct. We couldn't wait to get our Quattros back on.

I have to laugh. A lot of this issue came to a head when I asked my LDS if they could order a set of the Gorillas for me. Based on what I'm reading here, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these Dive Rite EXPs.

View attachment 206599

I can get them for about 1/2 of what new are running. From what I can find, about the only real difference between these and the newer XTs is the way the spring strap attaches.

Thoughts?

SMW

I think that, given the EXPs are discontinued, you're still going to end up not wearing fins that the shop sells.

PS - where do you intend to buy those EXPs from anyway?

:D

Back
Top Bottom